I have a JBL Pulse 4 speaker that was gifted to me a few months ago. I have not used it since I got it, but that is about to change as we are traveling upcountry, where we will have a lot of outdoor activities. However, to adequately use the speaker, I have to get it into pairing mode and then connect it to my iPhone.
After looking at the manual on the JBL website, I realized the pairing process is similar for all models. Below are steps to connect any JBL speaker to an iPhone.
- Before pairing your JBL speaker to an iPhone, ensure both devices are sufficiently charged.
- When powering on the JBL speaker for the first time or after a reset, it will automatically go into pairing mode.
- If the speaker connects to another device, you can get it in pairing mode by pressing the Bluetooth button.
- The speaker’s Bluetooth LED will flash to indicate that the speaker is in pairing mode and light in a solid state to show a successful pairing process.
- After getting the speaker in pairing mode, enable Bluetooth connectivity on the iPhone and search for the speaker on the list of available Bluetooth devices.
- The name of the speaker on the list of Bluetooth available devices will be JBL, followed by the model, e.g., JBL Pulse 4.
- If prompted for a PIN during the pairing process, use 0000.
Connecting JBL Flip 5 to iPhone
Connecting a JBL Speaker to Your iPhone
The steps to connect a JBL speaker to an iPhone are straightforward since the Bluetooth button on JBL speakers is indicated, and it comes in handy when you want the speaker in pairing mode.
The steps below describe how you can connect any JBL speaker to an iPhone.
Power on the Speaker
The first step is to ensure the speaker and iPhone have enough charge for normal operation. Then assuming your phone is already on, power on the JBL speaker by pressing the power button.
You will see the LED flash and hear a power-on tone from the speaker.
The power button is labeled with a circle with a straight line partially cutting into it from the top.
Enable Pairing Mode on the JBL Speaker
The first time you power on a JBL speaker or turn it on after a factory reset, it automatically goes into pairing mode.
If the speaker had been previously connected to another device, press the Bluetooth button for two to three seconds to enable pairing mode. Also, disable Bluetooth connectivity on all other devices for an easy connection process.
The Bluetooth button is labeled with the Bluetooth icon if you are having difficulty locating it.
Enable Bluetooth on the iPhone
After enabling the pairing mode on the speaker, go to the iPhone and enable Bluetooth connectivity.
To do this, go to Settings, select Bluetooth, and ensure Bluetooth is turned on. The slider should be on the right and highlighted green.
A few seconds after turning on Bluetooth, the JBL speaker should appear under the ‘Other Devices’ list.
The speaker’s name will be JBL, followed by the speaker’s model. For instance, JBL Pulse 4.
Connect the Speaker to Your iPhone
Once you see the speaker’s name select it, and the speaker and iPhone will be connected after a few seconds.
If prompted to enter a PIN, use 000. You will hear a tone from the speaker, and the LED will stop flashing to indicate a successful connection.
How to Connect JBL Charge 5 to an iPhone
Connecting JBL Speaker to iPhone Using an AUX Cable
If you have an older iPhone model with an AUX port, you can use a 3.5mm audio cable to connect the speaker to an iPhone.
3.5mm Audio Cables
|KabelDirekt 3.5mm (M) to 3.5mm (M)||Cable Matters 3.5mm (M) to 3.5mm (M)|
Simply plug one cable end into the speaker and the other into your iPhone, then power on the speaker.
Once you play audio from the iPhone it will output on the speaker.
If the iPhone does not have an AUX port, you can use a Lightning to 3.5mm adapter.
If your iPhone has a USB-C port, you will have to use Apple’s USB-C to 3.5mm adapter.
To do this, connect the lightning end of the adapter to your iPhone, then insert the AUX cable into the other end of the adapter.
Next, connect the AUX cable to the speaker, then power on the speaker and play audio from the iPhone.
Note that newer models of JBL speakers do not have an AUX port, so the only available means of connection to the iPhone is via Bluetooth.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: Why won’t my JBL speaker pair with my iPhone?
- Answer: Various aspects can prevent the speaker and iPhone from pairing. Below are some of these aspects and their possible solutions.
- If the speaker does not have an adequate charge or the battery is low, chances are, you will have problems with the pairing process. Therefore, ensure that the phone and speaker are fully charged.
- If the speaker and iPhone are far apart, the phone will have trouble reading the speaker’s Bluetooth signal. Therefore, bring them closer and try pairing them again.
- If you have other Bluetooth devices also actively broadcasting their Bluetooth signal, signal interference will also affect the pairing process. Thus, consider disabling Bluetooth on all other devices.
- A system malfunction could also be affecting the pairing process. Therefore, consider restarting the speaker, and if it still will not pair, reset the speaker. Then disable and enable Bluetooth on the iPhone.
- The speaker could also be paired with another device in the home. Check the LEDs on the speaker and use the manual as a reference to understand what the LED should look like when the speaker is in pairing mode. The LED usually flashes Blue when the speaker is in pairing mode.
- Question: How do I pair my JBL Bluetooth speaker?
- Answer: To pair your JBL Bluetooth speaker to a source device get the speaker in pairing mode first. When you power on the speaker for the first time or after a factory reset, it automatically goes into pairing mode.
- However, you can manually get the speaker in pairing mode by pressing the Bluetooth button for two to three seconds, and the LED will start flashing.
- Next, enable Bluetooth connectivity on the source device, search for the JBL speaker, and complete the pairing process.
- Question: How do I turn on pairing mode on a JBL speaker?
- Answer: The first time you power on the JBL speaker after purchasing or resetting it, it automatically goes into pairing mode.
- However, you can manually enable pairing mode by pressing the Bluetooth button for two to three seconds.
- Question: How do I reset my JBL Bluetooth speaker?
- Answer: Different models of JBL speakers follow different resetting procedures. You can access the resetting procedures that apply to your model on JBL’s website. Simply click the arrow on the drop-down box, select your model, and click on the ‘Show me the reset procedure’ option.
It will take you less than a minute to connect a JBL speaker to an iPhone. Just ensure the iPhone and speaker are close to each other, and the pairing process will be without any hindrances.
You can also access any JBL speaker’s user manual on the support site in case you have other issues with the speaker.