As I was going through the user manual of my JBL Xtreme 3 speaker, I realized it has a PartyBoost feature that allows it to connect to multiple JBL speakers and provide a more intense sound output.
Further research led me to appreciate JBL’s ingenuity since you can pair up to a hundred speakers this way.
This article will help other JBL speaker users understand how they can connect multiple speakers together and listen to music in Stereo mode if they wish to.
- You can wirelessly connect some JBL speaker models.
- When connecting speakers, they all have to use the same connection protocol.
- Earlier versions of JBL speakers like the JBL Flip 3, Charge 3, Pulse 2, and Clip 2 use the Connect protocol to connect a maximum of two speakers.
- Models like the JBL Flip 4, Xtreme 2, Pulse 3, Charge 4, and Boombox use the Connect + (plus) connection protocol to connect up to a hundred JBL speakers together.
- Latest models like the JBL Flip 5, Flip 6, Pulse 4, Pulse 5, Boombox 2, Boombox 3, and the JBL Xtreme 3 use the more advanced PartyBoost connection protocol that can facilitate connection of up to a hundred speakers.
- You would need the JBL Portable app to switch from party to stereo mode.
How to Connect Two JBL Speakers
Once the two speakers are connected, you can simultaneously output audio on both speakers from the same source device.
The steps to connect the speakers are almost identical regardless of the connection protocol. Follow the steps below to connect any compatible JBL speakers together:
Power on the First Speaker
Ensure both speakers are fully charged and in working condition before connecting them. Then press the power button to turn on the first speaker. The first speaker will be our primary speaker.
Connect the Primary Speaker to a Source Device
After turning the primary speaker on, it should automatically go into pairing mode or connect to a nearby previously connected device.
If you wish to get the speaker in pairing mode to connect it to a different source device, press the Bluetooth button for three seconds.
You will hear an audio prompt, and the LED on the speaker will start blinking to indicate pairing mode is active.
After the speaker is in pairing mode, enable Bluetooth connectivity on the source device, search for the JBL speaker in the list of available Bluetooth devices and select it to complete the pairing process.
How to Connect JBL Flip 5 to an iPhone
Play Music on the Primary Speaker
JBL suggests you play music on the primary speaker for at least twenty seconds before connecting two JBL speakers.
Press the Connect Button on the Primary Speaker
Most JBL speakers have a Connect button that you press to connect them to other speakers. The button differs from model to model depending on the connection protocol on the speaker.
The button is labeled with an hourglass symbol on older speakers that use the Connect protocol.
It also looks like an hourglass On JBL speakers that use Connect +, with the only difference being a + symbol on the hourglass on Connect + speakers.
On speakers that use the PartyBoost protocol, the connect button is labeled with a symbol that looks like the infinity (∞) symbol.
Press and hold the connect button until you hear a tone from the speaker, and the LED starts flashing.
Press the Connect Button on the Secondary Speaker
Next, power the secondary speaker and ensure it does not connect to another source device.
Then press and hold the connect button until you hear a tone from the speaker and the LEDs start flashing.
After a few seconds, audio will start coming from both speakers but will be in (Party mode) mono mode.
If you have speakers that use Connect+ or PartyBoost, you can connect more speakers (up to a hundred) by pressing and holding the Connect+ or PartyBoost buttons. How to Use the JBL PartyBoost Feature and Connect Two or More JBL Speakers Together
If you have speakers that use Connect+ or PartyBoost, you can connect more speakers (up to a hundred) by pressing and holding the Connect+ or PartyBoost buttons.
How to Use the JBL PartyBoost Feature and Connect Two or More JBL Speakers Together
The steps above also apply when connecting two JBL Clip 2 speakers; however, since they do not have a connect button, you would have to use the Bluetooth button. To do this, connect the primary Clip 2 speaker to a source device and then play audio on the speaker.
Next, power on the secondary speaker and ensure it is not connected to a source device. Press and hold the Bluetooth button on the primary and secondary speakers for five seconds. You should hear a tone notifying you that the speakers are pairing.
How Many JBL Speakers Can I Pair Together?
You can pair any speakers that use the same connection protocols, i.e., if they both use Connect +, they can be connected, but if one uses Connect+ and the other uses PartyBoost, they cannot be connected.
Speakers that use the Connect protocol can only support connections between two speakers, while those that use Connect+ or PartyBoost can support the connection of a hundred speakers.
Some speakers that use Connect are:
- Clip 2
- Flip 3
- Charge 3
- Pulse 2
Those that use Connect+ are:
- Pulse 3
- Charge 4
- Xtreme 2
- Flip 4
JBL Connect+ Explained
Some that use the PartyBoost connection protocol are:
- Flip 6
- Pulse 4
- Pulse 5
- Boombox 2
- Boombox 3
- Flip 5
- Xtreme 3
JBL PartyBoost Lineup
Can I Upgrade the Connection Protocols?
Unfortunately, you cannot upgrade the firmware to use a different connection protocol that is not the default. Therefore, if the speaker uses Connect +, you cannot upgrade it to PartyBoost or from Connect to Connect+.
However, this does not apply to all speakers, as you can upgrade the Charge 3 from Connect to Connect +.
To do this, download the JBL Portable app but note that you cannot downgrade to Connect after upgrading to Connect+.
Upgrading Charge 3 from Connect to Connect+
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: Can you pair two JBL Clip 4 together?
- Answer: Unfortunately, JBL does not support wireless connections between two Clip 4 speakers. The speakers also do not have AUX ports meaning you cannot link two speakers using a wired setup.
- However, some devices, especially Samsung devices, have a Dual Audio feature that allows you to connect multiple Bluetooth devices to the same phone and simultaneously play audio on both devices.
Using Samsung’s Dual Audio to Play Music on Two JBL Clip Speakers at the Same Time
- Question: Can I connect 2 JBL speakers together?
- Answer: Yes, you can connect two JBL speakers, provided both use the same connection protocol.
- The different connection protocols on JBL speakers are Connect, Connect +, and PartyBoost.
- Question: How do I disconnect connected JBL speakers?
- Answer: You can disconnect connected JBL speakers by switching off the speaker you want to disconnect. Alternatively, you can press the Connect button, and the speaker will be disconnected from the other speakers.
You can connect JBL speakers as long as they use the same connection protocol. If you encounter any issues during the connection process, contact JBL’s customer support for further assistance.
You can also access your speaker’s user manual on the JBL website to help you understand different aspects of the speaker.