UE Boom is famous for its cylindrical 360-degree shape, producing high-quality sound from all angles. This award-winning wireless speaker is fully waterproof, meaning you can go with it to the shower or swimming pool without much fuss.
They are also perfect for outdoor entertainment thanks to their shock-resistant, drop-proof design. They can withstand accidental drops and hits without succumbing to damage. Besides, they float on water, making them less susceptible to water damage.
I previously had the UE Boom 2 and later upgraded to the UE Boom 3 after the former’s discontinuation. Both speakers provide up to 15 hours of listening time on a single charge.
So, how long does UE Boom take to charge? Let’s find out.
- The UE Boom 2 and 3 provide up to 15 hours of battery life, depending on settings, frequency of use, and environmental conditions.
- The UE Boom 2 takes about 5 hours and 30 minutes, while the UE Boom takes about 3 hours to charge via a standard USB port.
- UE Boom charging times depend on the external power source and charger output (current rating).
- You can boost UE Boom charging times by switching to a USB charger or the Power UP charging dock, instead of a standard USB port.
- The UE Boom speakers have comparatively longer charging times because of their high-capacity rechargeable Lithium-ion batteries.
How Long Does UE Boom Take to Charge?
The UE Boom 2 takes about 5 hours and 30 minutes, while the original UE Boom takes about 3 hours to charge via a standard USB port. The latest UE BOOM 3 speaker has the shortest charging time – 2.5 hours. UE Boom speakers have comparatively longer charging times because of their high-capacity rechargeable Lithium-ion batteries.
Charging times vary depending on the external power source and current output. You can charge via a standard USB port (PC’s USB) or an AC adapter with USB support. The current rating determines how fast the speaker can recharge.
Charging your UE Boom shouldn’t be an issue. The speaker comes with a micro-USB cable included in the package. However, it does not have a USB-to-wall adapter. You may have to buy the adapter separately if you need one.
UE BOOM AC Adapter
Ways to Charge Your UE Boom Faster
Sometimes, charging your UE Boom can be painstakingly slow. It can take up to three hours for the speaker to reach 100%. Fortunately, you can use your UE Boom speaker while charging.
Alternatively, you can speed up the charging process using various strategies. Try switching from a standard USB to an AC adapter (charger) connected to a wall outlet. After all, a computer’s USB delivers a maximum current of 0.5A. In contrast, a power adapter delivers up to 5A for ultra-fast charging.
You can also boost your speaker’s charging times using the Power Up charging dock. This convenient accessory supports wireless charging. It keeps your speaker charged up and ready when needed. You can play music while the speaker is on the dock to keep the party going uninterrupted.
How to Set Up UE Power Up Charging Dock
Troubleshooting UE Boom Charging Issues
The UE Boom wireless portable speaker uses a battery to operate. After multiple uses, it might need a recharge to keep the battery levels up. However, your speaker might malfunction and develop charging issues. Here’s what you can do to fix this problem:
UE BOOM Won’t Charge – Crazy Fix that Might Work
Try a Different Charging Cord
Inspect the cable for visible damage and replace it accordingly. You can try a different charging cord to see if the first one has a problem. If the speaker is not charging, move to the next tip.
Check the Power Source
If the charging cable is okay, the problem might be with the external power source. The computer’s USB port or the wall outlet might be the issue.
Inspect your computer’s USB port for bent pins and other possible damage. You can try a different port to see if it makes a difference. If charging from a wall outlet, check it for malfunctions and try an alternative socket.
Many prefer to switch from a standard USB to an AC adapter (charger) as it is faster than a computer’s USB port. You can try this hack to see if it solves the problem.
Use a Compatible Charger
Sometimes your UE Boom might develop charging problems when using an incompatible charger. The UE Boom does not have specific power requirements since it supports most USB chargers. The issue might be with the connector. Ensure the charger has a micro-USB cable for optimal charging performance. To avoid taking chances, use the supplied micro-USB connector.
Check the Charging Port
Your UE Boom wireless speaker has a charging port where the external power source connects via USB. If your UE Boom is not charging, check the charging port. It might have dirt or debris clogging the area, leading to a loose connection.
Blow the area with a blower or use a sharp object to dislodge the debris before trying again. Ensure the pins are straight lest your speaker won’t charge. You can gently straighten bent pins with a tweezer before connecting the charger.
Dry Speaker and Components
The UE Boom speaker is distinguished for its waterproof design. It can withstand spills and water without much fuss. You can also submerge it in water for close to 30 minutes without causing damage. However, that’s where it ends. You cannot charge your speaker while it is wet.
Avoid charging your UE Boom speaker if the micro-USB port or charging cable is wet or dirty. Water can short-circuit the system board and damage the speaker. Place the speaker under a shade to dry before charging it.
Reset UE Boom Speaker
Your UE Boom might not charge because of minor bugs. Resetting it to factory defaults can help correct many problems, including charging issues.
Here are the steps:
- Press the power and volume down buttons simultaneously.
- Maintain this position for 10 seconds.
- Release the buttons when the speaker emits a tone.
- Allow the speaker to reboot.
- Check if the above steps solved the problem.
Resetting a UE BOOM Speaker
If nothing works, your speaker might have some damage. The last available option is contacting Ultimate Ears support. The customer reps will guide you on how to schedule a service.
UE BOOM Won’t Charge – Another Fix That Might Work
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: Can I use my UE Boom while charging?
- Answer: Yes. You can use your UE Boom wireless speaker while charging. However, using it will impact charging times, meaning you may have to wait longer for the speaker to recharge to 100%. Moreover, if the battery is flat, you must charge the speaker for at least 5 minutes before using it.
- Question: Why is my UE Boom not charging?
- Answer: Your UE Boom speaker might fail to charge because of a loose connection, faulty charging cords, a flat battery, or software bugs. Water in the charging port can also cause your UE Boom not to charge. One way to fix this problem is to reset the speaker. Press the power and volume down buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds. Release the buttons when the speaker emits a tone. Replace faulty cables and ensure the charging port is dry before plugging in the charger.
- Question: Why is my UE Boom speaker flashing?
- Answer: A flashing UE Boom speaker has several meanings. A solid red light means the battery is low, while a flashing red light means the battery is completely flat. When charging, the tiny LED indicator will flash white and remain steady after charging is complete.
- Question: How do you know when the UE Boom is charging?
- Answer: The UE Boom has a tiny LED indicator at the bottom of the speaker. When plugged into a charger, the status light might blink to indicate it is charging. Some UE Boom models don’t have this status light. The only way to check the battery level is to press the Volume Up and Down buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds before releasing. The speaker will produce a voice note on the current charging and battery levels.
- Question: What is the battery life of UE Boom?
- Answer: The UE Boom has a battery life of up to 15 hours. The speaker runs on a battery technology similar to that of an electric car, providing extended hours of listening time. However, the maximum battery life varies with settings, frequency of use, and environmental conditions. Use the speaker at a moderate volume to get the best out of it.
The UE Boom has a high-capacity rechargeable battery that provides up to 15 hours of listening time on a single charge. The speaker requires more time to charge to 100% because of its high-capacity battery. The UE Boom 2 takes 5 hours and 30 minutes to recharge, while the UE Boom 3 needs 2.5 hours to charge to 100%. You can boost charging times by switching to a USB charger or the Power Up charging dock. Follow this guide for more UE Boom charging tips.