The JBL Flip 4 is a portable stereo speaker distinguished for its multiple connectivity options. This wireless speaker supports Bluetooth and auxiliary connections, allowing you to group it with up to 100 compatible speakers for an amplified audio experience. It also has an integrated noise-canceling microphone and speakerphone, which makes this mini boombox ideal for karaoke, conference calls, and all-night partying.
That’s not all. The Flip 4 also supports virtual voice assistants like Siri and Google. With a single button press, you can issue voice commands to the speaker instructing it to play your favorite tunes. Besides, the 3000mAh battery provides up to 12 hours of audio playtime on a single charge for a reveling experience.
While the JBL Flip 4 has a long-lasting battery, sometimes the speaker can act up and stop charging unexpectedly. The good news is that you can fix this problem quickly, ensuring the party doesn’t end when the fun is just beginning.
This guide provides proven tips on how to fix a JBL Flip 4 that won’t charge.
- Your JBL Flip 4 might not charge because of a defective battery damaged by exposure to extreme temperatures. Replacing the malfunctioning battery can help solve the issue.
- Dirt, dust, and debris can clog the speaker’s charging port causing it to stop charging. Clean the speaker with a micro-fiber cloth and carefully dislodge any sediment buildup using a toothpick or pin before plugging in the micro USB charger.
- If your JBL Flip 4 is not charging, check the micro USB cable for bends and physical damage to determine if it is the cause of the problem. If the cord is faulty, replace it with a functioning one and try again.
- Exposure to extreme heat can damage your speaker’s circuit board, causing it not to charge. Take your JBL Flip 4 to a service center and have the system board fixed by a technician.
How to Properly Charge Your JBL Flip 4
Fixing a JBL Flip 4 That Won’t Charge
Troubleshooting a JBL Flip 4 speaker that’s not charging can be a frustrating experience if you don’t know what to do or where to start. Fortunately, I have several proven tips for fixing a JBL Flip 4 wireless speaker that won’t charge even if you are not a tech geek.
Check the Indicator Lights
Checking the status lights is the first step to troubleshooting a JBL Flip 4 speaker that’s not charging. Like most JBL speakers, the JBL Flip 4 speaker has several indicator lights that display its current status.
These lights have different meanings, and you can tell if your wireless speaker is charging or not by checking the indicator light next to the power icon. If the speaker is charging, the dot next to the power icon will have a steady white glow. No light will come on if the speaker is not charging.
Inspect the Micro USB Cable
Your JBL Flip 4 speaker uses a Type-B micro USB cable for charging. If your speaker does not charge to your expectations, the micro USB cable might be faulty.
Even though a micro USB is flexible and has a high bend radius, it comprises several tiny wires that are delicate and susceptible to damage. Bending or pulling the charging cable beyond the maximum radius could cut these wires, causing the cord to malfunction.
Test the micro USB cable by plugging it into your JBL Flip 4 to see if the speaker is charging. If the speaker is not charging, you may have to replace the cable with a functioning one.
JBL Flip 4 Replacement Charging Cable
Check the Battery
The JBL Flip 4 speaker operates using a rechargeable 3000mAh lithium-ion battery. Even though lithium-ion batteries are renowned for retaining power, they have a short lifespan and might not last more than three years.
If your JBL Flip 4 is not charging, check the battery. It could be dead or defective, meaning you must replace it. The good news is that JBL speakers have replaceable batteries. You can replace the battery by carefully removing the speaker cover.
Check the specification sheet that came with your speaker to know the correct battery type for your JBL Flip 4. If you have issues replacing the battery, you can always take the speaker to a technician to install it for you.
JBL Flip 4 Battery Replacement – VIDEO TUTORIAL
Clean the Charging Port
Most people use their JBL Flip 4 speakers for outdoor entertainment. However, taking your speaker outside exposes it to dirt, dust, and debris. These elements could sometimes find their way into the charging port, preventing the cable from plugging in correctly and causing your JBL Flip 4 not to charge.
If you notice dirt and debris in the charging port, fish them out immediately before connecting the micro USB cable. The sediment buildup can bend the connector pins, further escalating the problem.
You can use a sharp pin, toothpick, or blower to remove dust and debris from the charging port. Remember to clean the speaker regularly to avoid similar problems in the future.
Check the Power Source
You can charge your portable speaker via your computer’s USB port or a wall outlet. If the incoming power supply is defective, your JBL Flip 4 won’t charge.
Whether using your PC’s USB port or a wall outlet, check the power sources to establish if they work appropriately. You can plug the micro USB cable into a different port or socket to charge your JBL Flip 4. Jump to the next step if the speaker still doesn’t charge.
Use a Compatible Charger
A JBL Flip 4 speaker typically charges using a micro USB cable and an AC adapter. However, your speaker will only come with the micro USB cable, meaning you may have to rely on third-party chargers for charging purposes.
Third-party chargers might not be reliable for charging your JBL Flip 4 speaker since they might not have the correct amperage. These chargers might not provide adequate current to boost your speaker. Considering this, always use the recommended charger to charge your JBL Flip 4 speaker.
JBL Flip Replacement Charger
Reset Your JBL Flip 4
Minor bugs and technical glitches might cause your JBL Flip 4 wireless speaker not to charge. Fortunately, resetting your speaker can help resolve this issue. This step entails pressing various combinations to reset your JBL speaker to factory defaults. It erases all settings and refreshes your speaker’s system memory, restoring the charging functioning.
Follow these steps to reset your JBL Flip 4 speaker:
- Press the volume up and play/pause buttons simultaneously for 20 seconds until the status light goes out.
- Your speaker will shut down as it enters reset mode.
- Wait for 30 seconds to elapse before turning the speaker on again.
- Plug the micro USB cable into the speaker to start charging.
Resetting JBL Flip 4
Repair the Circuit Board
Even though the JBL Flip 4 portable speaker is waterproof, it cannot withstand extreme temperatures. Exposing the speaker to excessive heat can damage the circuit board, causing it not to charge. Repairing or replacing the circuit board is the only solution to solving this issue.
Unless you are a competent technician, I suggest you take the speaker to a repair shop to have the system board replaced. If your warranty is valid and you have your speaker’s registration details, you can visit a JBL service center near you for professional assistance at subsidized rates.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: Why isn’t my JBL Flip 4 charging?
- Answer: A faulty battery is one of the main culprits in a JBL Flip 4 that’s not charging. This wireless speaker uses a rechargeable lithium-ion battery that offers extended hours of playtime. However, when exposed to unfavorable temperatures, such as extreme heat, the battery might become unusable, causing the speaker not to charge.
- Question: How do I fix a JBL Flip 4 speaker that is not charging?
- Answer: If your JBL Flip 4 speaker is not charging, the micro USB cable might be the issue. Test the charging cord to determine if it works, and replace it if you notice any defects. Inspect the charging port for dirt and debris and dislodge the sediment buildup before trying again. Ensure you use a compatible charger to recharge your wireless speaker.
- Question: How do I reset a JBL Flip 4 speaker?
- Answer: Resetting a JBL Flip 4 speaker can help resolve several issues, including charging problems. To reset the speaker, press the volume up and play/pause buttons simultaneously for 20 seconds until the status light goes out. Your speaker will shut down as it enters reset mode. Unpair the speaker from your connected devices and wait for 30 seconds to elapse before turning it on again.
- Question: How long should a JBL Flip 4 battery last?
- Answer: A JBL Flip 4 battery provides up to 12 hours of continuous playtime on a single charge. However, the duration depends on usage, audio content, and volume level. The speaker has a 3,000 mAh rechargeable lithium-ion battery that requires only 3.5 hours to charge fully.
- Question: How do I know if my JBL Flip 4 speaker is charging?
- Answer: Like most JBL Bluetooth speakers, the JBL Flip 4 has several indicator lights that display its current status. When you plug the micro USB charger into the charging port, the indicator lights will blink severally, and then the lamp next to the power button will display a steady white glow to indicate it is charging.
The JBL Flip 4 is an award-winning portable speaker renowned for its powerful stereo sound. It provides up to 12 hours of continuous audio playtime on a single charge.
However, playing music at maximum volumes will quickly drain the battery, meaning you must charge the speaker at some point.
Unfortunately, charging issues might arise, leaving you upset and inconvenienced. The good news is that you can use this guide to troubleshoot your JBL Flip 4 that’s not charging.