JBL produces one of the best in-ear (earbuds) and on-ear headphones available in the market. The headphones are compatible with different devices, and once connected, you can listen to uninterrupted music thanks to the powerful batteries on the headphones.
A few months ago, I bought my nephew a pair of JBL headphones, and he loved them but stopped using them after a while because he misplaced them. We recently found the headphones, but connecting them to his phone has been challenging. After endless hours of browsing the web, I wrote this article to ensure you have an easier time than I did pairing your JBL headphones to different devices.
- JBL headphones follow different pairing formats depending on the headphone’s model.
- The headphones can pair with multiple devices, but they will automatically connect to the two most recently paired devices.
- If your JBL headphone has problems pairing to a source device, ensure the headphones and source device are within 30 feet of each other. Also, ensure all other devices previously connected to the headphones are switched off, or their Bluetooth feature is disabled.
- If the headphones are brand new, ensure you charge them first before using them.
- Brand-new JBL headphones automatically go into pairing mode the first time you power them on, so you have to enable Bluetooth on the source device and select your headphones from the list of available Bluetooth devices.
- If you leave the headphones idle in pairing mode for an extended period, they will go off to conserve the battery.
- If your source device asks for a PIN during the pairing procedure, try the common default PINs 0000, 1111, and 1234. If they do not work, refer to the user manual for the correct PIN.
How to Pair JBL Headphones using Bluetooth?
Most JBL headphones have Bluetooth capabilities to ensure users enjoy uninterrupted audio playback. Bluetooth eliminates the necessity for wires as it is a wireless technology, and this helps declutter your environment.
To connect your JBL headphones to any device via Bluetooth, you first have to initiate pairing mode on the headphones and then enable Bluetooth on the source device.
If this is the first time you pair the headphones to any device, they will automatically be in pairing mode once you switch them on.
On-ear headphones like the JBL TUNE500BT can be turned on by pressing the power button for two to three seconds. The power button is often found on the headphone’s right earcup, but some have it on the left. You will know it is the power button since it is marked with the power symbol, a circle with a vertical line partially cutting into it from the top.
Other models, like the JBL Live 650BT, require you to push the power button upwards to turn on the headphones. The button is located on the left earcup.
To turn on the earbuds, you take them out of the charging case, and they turn on automatically.
Once the headphones are on for the first time, you can enable Bluetooth on the source device, search for your headphones, and select pair or connect. The headphones name on your device, e.g., phone or laptop, will be the headphones model name, e.g., JBL Live 650BT.
You will know the headphones are in pairing mode by observing the LEDs on the headphones, as they will be blinking rapidly in either white, blue, or blue and red, depending on the model. Some models will notify you they are in pairing mode by playing a distinct tone, while others will play an audio clip stating they are in pairing mode.
How to Pair JBL Tune 500 BT with Your Phone
If the headphones were previously connected to a device and you wish to connect them to another one, you can initiate Bluetooth pairing mode in different ways depending on the headphone’s model.
If the headphones have a dedicated Bluetooth button marked with the Bluetooth logo, like the JBL Quantum800, you can press and hold it for three seconds to enable pairing mode.
Pairing JBL Quantum Series Headphones
Some JBL headphones, like the JBL Tune 500BT, do not have a dedicated Bluetooth button but have a multifunction button between the volume up and volume down buttons. You can enable pairing mode by pressing and holding the volume up and the multifunction button simultaneously for two seconds.
How to Pair JBL LIVE 650 with Your Phone
The JBL Tune 510 BT also has a multifunction button, but to enable manual pairing mode, press the power button for more than two seconds to switch it off. Then press the power button for six seconds to enable pairing mode.
How to Pair JBL Tune 510 BT with an iPhone
Other models, like the JBL Quantum 400 Gaming Headphones, do not have Bluetooth connectivity and can only be connected to other devices using the provided USB-A to USB-C or the 3.5mm audio cable.
To manually enter pairing mode when using the earbuds like the JBL Tune 130NC TWS, you have to tap the touch control on the right earbud once, release then touch and hold it for more than five seconds. If the earbuds use a button instead of the touch control feature, you have to press the button once, then press and hold for at least five seconds.
Pairing JBL TUNE 120 TWS with Your Phone
When the LED lights are solidly blue or white, you will know the headphones have been paired to your device.
Enabling Bluetooth Connectivity on Various Devices
Once you have enabled the pairing mode on the headphone, the next step is to enable Bluetooth connectivity on the source device and search for the headphones to complete the pairing process.
One important caveat is that the headphones and your source device should be within 33 feet or 10 meters of each other to facilitate a successful connection.
Once you pair a device to your headphones, you will not have to pair them again the next time you turn on the headphone, as they will pair automatically if your device’s Bluetooth connectivity is enabled.
Below are steps on how you can enable the Bluetooth feature on various devices.
To enable Bluetooth on an iPhone or iPad using iOS 16 and iOS 16, navigate to Settings and select Bluetooth, then tap on the slider so that it highlights green.
Wait for the phone to scan for available Bluetooth devices and select your headphones from the list of available devices.
If prompted to enter a PIN, use the default 0000, 1111,1234 or consult the user manual.
You can find further assistance on the setup procedures on the support page.
Android devices that use Android 6.0 and later have a Google Fast Pair Service that simplifies the pairing process provided the headphones use Bluetooth Core Specification v4.2 and later versions.
When you have headphones like the JBL Live 660NC and the JBL Tune 225TWS, which are close to your phone and turned on, a notification will appear on your screen asking you to pair the headphones.
The only conditions are that you should enable the location services and unlock the phone.
You can still connect the headphones manually by going to Settings > Connected Devices > Pair New Device and waiting for the phone to discover your headphones. Once it does, tap the headphone’s name on your screen and follow the prompts to complete the pairing process.
You can enable Bluetooth connections on your Windows 11 device by clicking the Start icon on the taskbar and navigating to Settings.
Next, select Bluetooth & devices and turn on the feature, then select the Add Devices option and click on Bluetooth your Windows device will scan for available devices. You can select your JBL headphones and follow any on-screen prompts to complete the connection.
You can find the connection process on older Windows versions on the Microsoft Support page.
How to Pair JBL TUNES 510BT with a Windows PC
Enable Bluetooth connectivity on a MacBook using macOS Ventura 13 by navigating to the Apple menu > System Settings > Bluetooth.
Hover the pointer over the JBL headphone’s name and select connect. You might be prompted to enter a PIN which you can find in the user manual or try the defaults 1234, 0000, or 1111.
You can find additional connection procedures for all the operating systems on the Apple Support page.
Pairing JBL Live 650BT with a MacBook
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: How do I pair my JBL Bluetooth headphones with my phone?
- Answer: When you turn on the headphones for the first time or after a factory reset, they are already in pairing mode, and you can complete the connection from the audio source device. If the headphones connect to one device and you want to connect to another, you must enable pairing mode. Different JBL models follow different procedures to enable pairing mode; therefore, consult the user manual available online on JBL’s website.
- Question: How do I put my JBL Live 500BT in pairing mode?
- Answer: You can enable pairing mode on JBL Live 500BT headphones by pressing and holding the Bluetooth button for two seconds. The button is next to the power button.
- Question: What is the JBL pairing code?
- Answer: When pairing the headphones to any device, the device might request a code to complete the connection. The code is usually provided in the user manual, but if you cannot find it, try the default codes. They are; 0000, 1111, and 1234.
Pairing JBL headphones can be difficult, especially because they come in different models that operate differently. However, I have broken down how to pair the headphones depending on the headphone’s model and button arrangement to make it easier to figure out how to pair them.
If you are facing trouble pairing your headphones consult the user manual for instructions specific to your headphone model. If you do not have the manual, you can find it online by searching using the model’s name as part of the keywords followed by ‘manual.’ You can also contact JBL’s customer care service for further assistance.