Ultimate Ear portable speakers are a force to reckon with. The different models have varying features that guarantee each user will be catered to when looking for an Ultimate Ears speaker.
The most common models are the Wonderboom speakers since they are relatively affordable compared to models like the Hyperboom. I have a Wonderboom 2 speaker that has been lying around for a while, and a few days ago, I decided to connect it to my phone.
In the process, I realized there needs to be more information on pairing Wonderboom speakers to a source device or another speaker.
To fill the gap, I wrote this article to help you connect any model of Wonderboom speakers to a source device or another speaker.
- Before pairing the Wonderboom speakers to a source device or each other, ensure the speakers are adequately charged.
- The speaker will automatically go into pairing mode when you power it on for the first time or when you power it on after a factory reset.
- The power button on Wonderboom speakers is on the top of the speaker, with the Bluetooth button and a multipurpose center button.
- You will know the speaker is in pairing mode when you see the Bluetooth LED flashing white rapidly.
- The speakers will also play a distinct tone when they go into pairing mode or successfully connect to a source device.
- The Bluetooth LED will light solid white when the pairing process is successful.
- You can also use the multipurpose center button on top of the speaker to connect different models together.
- The speakers can actively connect to two source devices, but only one device can play audio through the speaker at a time.
- To check the battery level of your Wonderboom speaker regardless of the model, simultaneously press and hold the plus (+) and minus (-) buttons for two to four seconds when the speaker is on.
Setting Up WONDERBOOM 3
Pairing Wonderboom Speakers to a Source Device
Wonderboom speakers come in different models, i.e., Wonderboom, Wonderboom 2, and Wonderboom 3.
Power on the Speaker
The first step is to power the speaker. Wonderboom speakers have the power button on the same spot, so this step should be easy.
The power button is on the top of the speaker right below the center button, assuming the plus and minus buttons on the speaker’s front are facing you.
The button is labeled by a straight vertical line that lights up when you press the power button. The solid white LED is an indicator that the speaker has powered on.
If you power the speaker and leave it in pairing mode for more than fifteen minutes, it will automatically go off to conserve the battery.
Enable Pairing Mode
If the speaker is fresh out of the box or has been reset before you power it on, it will automatically go into pairing mode.
You will know it is in pairing mode when the Bluetooth LED flashes white rapidly.
The Bluetooth button is the first button from the top on the top side of the speaker. That is assuming the plus and minus buttons are facing your direction.
The Bluetooth LED is also in the same location as the Bluetooth button.
The speaker will automatically connect to the last source device it is connected to if the source device is nearby and has the Bluetooth settings active.
If you want the speaker to go back into pairing mode, you can long-press the Bluetooth button till you hear an audio prompt from the speaker. The Bluetooth LED will flash white.
Complete the Pairing Process on the Source Device
Once the speaker is in pairing mode, you can enable Bluetooth connectivity on the source device.
The Bluetooth settings are often found under settings and, more specifically, under connectivity settings. However, each operating system has a different way of activating Bluetooth and connecting the speaker.
If you have trouble activating Bluetooth connectivity on the source device, consult the device’s user manual or visit the Operating Systems support website.
The Bluetooth speaker will show up on your source device’s list of available Bluetooth devices using its model name. I.e., Wonderboom will appear as WONDERBOOM, Wonderboom 2 will appear as WONDERBOOM 2, and Wonderboom 3 will appear as WONDERBOOM 3
When you see your speaker’s name, select it to complete the pairing process.
Pairing WONDERBOOM 2 with an Android/iOS Device
Connecting an Additional Source Device to the Speaker
Wonderboom speakers have a Multi-host feature which means they can connect to two source devices simultaneously.
To connect an additional source device to the speaker, press the Bluetooth button until you see the speaker is in pairing mode. The Bluetooth LED will flash white rapidly, and you will hear a tone from the speaker.
Once the speaker is in pairing mode, connect the second source device to the speaker using the steps described in section three above.
Play Audio through the Speaker
Once the speaker and your source device are connected, you can seamlessly play audio through the speaker.
You can now use the center button on top of the speaker to play or pause music or skip to the next track. To play/pause music, press the center button once and double-press it to skip to the next track.
Connecting Wonderboom Speakers Together
Wonderboom speakers have a Double Up feature that connects two same-model speakers.
First, connect one speaker to a source device to use the feature.
Then simultaneously press and hold the center buttons on each speaker. The buttons are found on the top side of the speaker between the power and Bluetooth button.
After a few seconds, each speaker will have a tone indicating that they are trying to pair. A while later, you will hear another tone that indicates the speakers have paired, and you should hear audio coming out of both speakers.
To leave the Double Up mode, press the Bluetooth button on one of the speakers.
You can also shift between audio modes if you have connected two Wonderboom 2 or two Wonderboom 3 speakers.
To do this on Wonderboom 3 speakers, press the Center button on top of the speaker, and you will hear different tones depending on which mode you are on. The two modes on the Wonderboom 3 are party louder (mono mode) and immersive stereo mode (stereo mode).
To shift between mono and stereo mode on the Wonderboom 2, press and hold the Center button on the top of both speakers.
You can only connect similar Wonderboom models, but there is an exception when it comes to the Wonderboom 1 and the Wonderboom 2; that is, you can connect the Wonderboom to a Wonderboom 2 speaker.
Pairing WONDERBOOM 1 and WONDERBOOM 2 Together
To do this, press and hold the center button on top of both speakers until you hear a tone. Then wait for the speakers to connect. Remember to connect the Wonderboom 2 to a source device first.
If you connect incompatible models, you will lose the stereo audio output privilege, and the speakers will only output audio in mono mode.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: How do I pair two WONDERBOOM speakers?
- Answer: To pair two Wonderboom speakers, first, connect one of them to a source device. Then press and hold the center button on top of both speakers until you hear a tone from both speakers. Wait as the two speakers connect and play a tone to confirm a successful connection.
- You can only pair compatible models except for the Wonderboom first generation and the Wonderboom 2, which are also compatible.
- Question: How do I put Wonderboom 2 in pairing mode?
- Answer: Wonderboom speakers have a Bluetooth button that you can press to get them in pairing mode. Press and hold the button until the speaker plays a tone and the Bluetooth LED starts flashing white.
- Question: How many WONDERBOOMs can you pair together?
- Answer: You can only pair two Wonderboom speakers together.
- Question: How do I reset my WONDERBOOM Bluetooth?
- Answer: Power on the speaker, then press and hold the power and minus buttons simultaneously for ten to fifteen seconds.
- The speaker will then play a tone and power off to indicate the reset is complete, and you can press the power button to turn it on.
Wonderboom speakers have exceptional audio output quality, which is why many people love them. The speakers have easy-to-understand features and controls; therefore, they should be easy to set up. However, consult the support page if you encounter any challenges because the manufacturer provides solutions to various problems.
If the problems persist, contact the customer support team for further assistance. Alternatively, reset the speaker by pressing and holding the power and minus buttons until the speaker plays a tone indicating it is resetting.