The UE MEGABOOM portable Bluetooth speaker by Ultimate Ears has been around for less than a decade but it is already rivaling the big names in the industry. This Bluetooth speaker produces unmatched sound quality, radiating stereophonic audio evenly in all directions thanks to its cylindrical design.
Its thundering bass is out of this world, and you can stream music and balance volume levels with one touch of a button. Moreover, the speaker has a long battery life, delivering up to 20 hours of audio playtime on a single charge.
As much as the UE MEGABOOM has impressive features, sometimes you might experience charging issues when it’s time to boost the speaker’s high-capacity battery. For some reason, your speaker can shift into a state where it doesn’t charge as expected. Many owners have complained about this issue, but fortunately, there are several ways to fix it.
If you are stuck with your UE MEGABOOM not charging, try these tips to troubleshoot and fix the speaker within minutes.
- Your UE MEGABOOM speaker might not get into a normal charge cycle because of firmware issues. Updating the speaker’s software can help resolve this issue and ensure it doesn’t reoccur.
- If your UE MEGABOOM doesn’t charge as expected, it might have a faulty or dead battery. Carefully open the speaker cover and replace the defective battery with a genuine replacement.
- A clogged or dirty charging port can cause your UE MEGABOOM speaker not to charge. Clean or blow the charging port to dislodge dirt and debris before tying again.
- Your UE MEGABOOM might not charge because the battery is over-discharged. Plug a charge into the speaker and leave it connected for about a minute to see if it is charging.
Why Is My UE MEGABOOM Not Charging and How to Fix It?
UE MEGABOOM might not charge because of software or hardware issues. Software glitches are much easier to fix than hardware malfunctions since the latter might require technical expertise. You may have to open the speaker to replace a faulty battery or repair a damaged charging port. In contrast, fixing software hitches might require a reset or firmware update.
Without further ado, here are the top reasons your UE MEGABOOM is not charging and how to fix them.
The UE MEGABOOM wireless Bluetooth speaker has a built-in operating system that controls the speaker’s functions and features. Sometimes, the software might develop bugs and anomalies, causing the speaker to malfunction and stop charging.
There are two ways of dealing with firmware issues in your UE MEGABOOM speaker. You can reset the speaker to factory defaults or perform a software upgrade.
A reset will erase all custom settings and pairing information and eventually remove all bugs. Conversely, an update will fix bugs and glitches, allowing you to enjoy your speaker as usual.
Option 1 – Resetting UE MEGABOOM Speaker
- Press the power button to turn on your UE MEGABOOM speaker.
- Press the volume down and power buttons simultaneously for 5-10 seconds.
- Release the buttons when you hear a short tone.
- Your speaker will shut down as it resets.
- Press the power button again to turn it on.
- Connect the charger to the speaker to check if it is charging.
Option 2 – Updating the Software On Your UE MEGABOOM
You can update the firmware on your UE MEGABOOM via the Megaboom app. The app is available on the Apple App Store for iOS devices and Google Play Store for Android devices.
Here’s how to update your UE MEGABOOM firmware:
- Press the power button to turn on your wireless speaker.
- Pair your MEGABOOM speaker with your mobile device via Bluetooth.
- Download and install the Megaboom app on your mobile device.
- Launch the Megaboom app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Tap MORE.
- Check for updates.
- Tap the Update Now message.
- Wait for the update process to complete.
- Connect the charger to the speaker to check if it is charging.
If your UE MEGABOOM is not charging, it might have a faulty battery. All wireless Bluetooth speakers have rechargeable batteries, and the UE MEGABOOM is no exception. This portable speaker has a high-capacity Lithium-ion battery that delivers up to 20 hours of audio playtime.
Even though Lithium-ion batteries have a long battery life, they have a short lifespan, not exceeding three years. Your battery might start acting up after 500 charge cycles, causing your UE MEGABOOM not to charge.
You can check the battery level on your MEGABOOM by pressing the volume up and volume down buttons simultaneously for about 5 seconds. The voice prompt will tell you the battery level.
The battery could be faulty if the speaker’s LED light constantly flashes red even after connecting the charger. The only solution to this problem is to replace the battery.
UE MEGABOOM Battery Replacement – VIDEO TUTORIAL
Letting the battery drain to 0% can cause charging issues. Fortunately, fixing this issue is easy, but it might take 20-30 minutes before the speaker returns to a normal charge cycle.
Here are the steps:
- Connect the charger to the speaker and leave it plugged in for a few seconds.
- Check the charge LED light if it is flashing continuously. If not, disconnect the charging cable from the speaker.
- Reconnect the charging cable and leave it plugged in for a few seconds.
- Repeat steps 1, 2, and 3 several times until the LED light starts to pulse.
- Leave the charger connected when you notice the LED light blinking continuously.
- Wait for the speaker to begin charging.
- Allow the speaker to recharge until the battery reaches 100%.
Dirty or Damaged Charging Port
Your UE MEGABOOM might not charge because of a dirty or damaged charging port. Since this wireless speaker is portable, many prefer to use it outdoors. However, playing your speaker in the yard makes it vulnerable to harsh elements, including dirt, dust, and debris.
Grass, dust, and other sediments might find their way into the charging port, blocking the connector and preventing the speaker from charging. Removing these elements can restore your speaker’s charging cycle. You can use a blower to blow away the dust or a toothpick to dislodge debris from the charging port.
If the charging port is damaged, the only solution is to replace it. Visit the nearest service center to repair or replace the malfunctioning charging port.
Replacing the Charging Port on UE MEGABOOM
Wet Charging Port
Even though the UE MEGABOOM is waterproof, the charging port is not. Your speaker might not charge if the micro USB cable, AC adapter, and charging port are wet.
The safest way is to allow the charging port to dry naturally, under a shade in a windy area for a few hours.
Drying the charging port with a hairdryer could damage the speaker’s internal components due to extreme temperatures.
Faulty Cable or Incompatible Charger
A UE MEGABOOM speaker uses a micro USB cable and a 12V AC adapter for charging. The speaker might not charge if the micro USB cord is faulty. The power supply must have a 12V rating for optimal performance. Ensure you use the supplied cable and power supply to avoid charging issues.
Your UE MEGABOOM might not charge because of hardware issues. Problems such as a damaged circuit board or broken wires can cause the speaker to malfunction and stop charging.
Dealing with hardware problems might require technical expertise. You may have to open the cover, replace the circuit board, or solder the cut wires with a soldering gun. If you are not proficient in electrical matters, the only solution is to take your speaker to a service center for repairs. Alternatively, contact Ultimate Ears support for technical assistance.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: How do I fix UE MEGABOOM not charging?
- Answer: If your UE MEGABOOM is not charging, you can fix it using different methods. Plug the supplied charger into the speaker and leave it plugged in for a few seconds. Check the charge LED for a continuous pulse. If the LED doesn’t blink, disconnect the cable, reconnect it, and leave it plugged in for a few seconds. Repeat these steps several times until the speaker returns to a normal charging state.
- Question: How do you reset a MEGABOOM speaker?
- Answer: Resetting a MEGABOOM speaker is easy. Press the power button to turn the speaker on. Next, press the volume down and power buttons simultaneously for about 5-10 seconds or until you hear a short tone. Release the buttons as the speaker resets to factory defaults. The speaker will automatically turn off. Press the power button again to turn the speaker on.
- Question: How do you know if MEGABOOM is charging?
- Answer: The UE MEGABOOM has an LED indicator light that displays the current status of the speaker. When you plug a charger into the speaker, the LED light at the bottom will show a flashing white glow to indicate that the speaker is charging. The light will stop blinking after fully charging the battery to 100%.
- Question: Why is my MEGABOOM charging light flashing?
- Answer: When you connect the speaker to the charger, the small LED light will start flashing to indicate that it is charging. If the charging light on your MEGABOOM is flashing red, the battery is completely dead and requires recharging. A steady red light means the battery is low but can still play audio for several minutes before you can boost it.
- Question: Can you overcharge a MEGABOOM speaker?
- Answer: No. You cannot overcharge a MEGABOOM speaker. The charging system has an overcharge protector that automatically disconnects the charging circuit once the battery reaches 100%. The speaker requires about 2.5 hours to charge fully.
Your UE MEGABOOM might not charge because of software issues or hardware problems. Troubleshooting the possible reasons your speaker is not charging can help you fix the issue quickly. Follow the above tips to repair your wireless speaker and return it to a normal charge cycle.