A quality headset goes a long way in ensuring the user has an exceptional experience when listening and talking to others. As an avid gamer, my biggest challenge is getting a headset with a quality mic that will not cut my audio mid-game.
As a result, I got the Razer Barracuda X headset, and my needs were met. Unfortunately, this lasted for a brief period because the mic stopped working.
While searching for what could be the issue, I realized a lot of Barracuda users have had the same problem but have yet to find a solution.
Below are all the solutions I came across, and I hope they will also get your headset mic working.
- The Razer Barracuda X headset has a detachable mic that can get loose and stop working.
- You might think the mic is not working because it is on mute.
- The mic will not work if you are using the headset in a wireless setup and the headset’s battery is low.
- The settings on your device can also hinder the mic’s regular operation.
- If the mic is damaged, you will experience issues to the extent of it not working.
- Dirty ports and connectors can also affect how and if the mic works.
- You should also update the headsets and your device’s firmware since outdated firmware can negatively impact the operation of a device.
Recommended Reading :
Official RAZER Mic Troubleshooting Guide
Why Is My Barracuda X Mic Not Working?
When you realize your headset’s microphone is not working, many aspects can be the problem. The only definite solution is to troubleshoot the various things you suspect to be the problem.
You should, therefore, start from the least complicated solutions as you advance to the more complex ones. That way, you save time and prevent yourself from tinkering with unnecessary settings that might worsen the problem.
Some of the reasons why the Barracuda X mic is not working are:
- The connection between the mic and the headset or the headset and your device could be loose:
- The mic could be muted, thus making it look like it is not working.
- If the headset battery is low, the mic will not work correctly, especially if you are using the headset in a wireless setup.
- The settings on your device can also prevent the mic from working. For example, you could be using a different mic as the default and not the Barracuda mic.
- Other apps or signal interference could also be affecting the headset operation.
- The headset or its mic could be damaged.
Most of these issues can be solved with a few troubleshooting steps. Below are more reasons why the mic is not working and what you can do to get your Razer Barracuda X mic working.
Getting the Barracuda X Mic to Work
These steps will help you get the mic working as it should:
Check the Headset’s Connections
The first culprit when the mic won’t work is the connection between the mic and the headset. The Razer Barracuda X headset has a detachable mic, so the connection between the mic and the earcup can get loose.
Additionally, the headset can be connected to your device using the 3.5mm cable, and this connection can also get loose on your device’s or the headset’s end.
So, ensure the mic boom is firmly fitted in its port on the headset’s left earcup and connected to the correct port.
The microphone port is the first one on the left earcup, i.e., above the USB-C charging port.
The next step is to double-check that the 3.5mm cable is fully inserted in the jacks on the headset and your device. If you are using the wireless dongle, it should also be firmly connected to your device so that you do not experience problems like the mic not working.
If the USB-C port on your PC is blocked or the wireless adapter is too big, use the included USB-A to USB-C extender cable.
Also, ensure that you have the Barracuda X mic and not any other brand, as it could be incompatible with the headset.
Some devices have separate audio in and audio out ports, and the mic will not work if you connect the headset to your device using only one port.
Instead, you should use an audio splitter cable with two male TRS and one female TRRS connector. One male connector should go into your device’s headset port, while the other goes into the mic port. The headset’s male connector should then enter the splitter’s female port.
If you have connected to the headsets via the USB dongle, ensure the dongle is connected to your device and not to a hub that is connected to your device.
Troubleshooting Your Headset’s 3.5mm Connection
Clean the Ports and Connectors
Another problem that can affect the mic on your Razer Barracuda headset is dirty ports and plugs.
If there is dirt and debris on the plugs that go into the headset and your device or the plugs, parts like the mic will be affected.
Therefore, disconnect the headset from your device and use a lint-free microfiber cloth to clean it. Then, use a soft-bristled brush to clean the hard-to-reach spaces like the 3.5mm and the USB ports.
If the dirt is proving challenging to remove, you can wet the cloth or brush with very little soapy water, but avoid using solvents like alcohol as they will damage some parts of the headset.
Ensure water does not remain on the connectors and plugs, as this will damage the headsets gradually.
You can also check the ‘How to clean‘ instructions on the Razer website for more tips on cleaning the Barracuda X headsets.
Is the Mic Muted?
The Barracuda headsets have a mute button on the left earcup just below the volume control wheel. Pressing this button will mute or unmute the mic, depending on the state the mic was in before.
This mute button can sometimes be accidentally pressed and mute the mic, making you think the mic is not working.
Press the mute button and try using the mic to check if it works. You should also check your device settings, as some can mute the mic.
Also, remember to check whether the cable you have used when using the 3.5mm connection has an inline mute button, mainly if you use a third-party cable and not the one that comes with the headsets.
Charge the Headset
The Barracuda X is a wireless headset with an internal battery that helps its wireless operations.
Some functions can be affected when the battery is too low, especially if you use the headset in a wireless setup, i.e., Bluetooth or the 2.4GHz dongle.
The headset will notify you when the battery is low using a ‘battery low’ audio prompt, and the status LED will start flashing red.
In such cases, connect the headset to a charger, and the LD will continue flashing red to show the headset is charging. The LED will flash green once the battery is full and connected to the charger.
The headset takes approximately four hours to charge from zero to a hundred in ideal conditions. You can use the Razer audio app to check the battery percentage.
Ensure Apps Can Access the Mic
Another problem preventing the Barracuda X mic from working is that the settings on your device deny apps access to the mic.
The privacy setting ensures apps do not eavesdrop on your conversations. Still, it can sometimes cause issues, especially if the user does not know how to enable and disable it.
You can grant apps mic access on some operating systems by following the steps below:
- Go to the Settings by pressing the Windows + I keys.
- Then select Privacy & Security and click on the Microphone option.
- Ensure the Microphone access and Let apps access your microphone options are turned on.
- Then, scroll to confirm that the app you want to use the mic with can access the microphone.
macOS Sonoma 14
- Click on the Apple menu and go to the System Settings.
- Next, select Privacy and Security from the sidebar, then enable mic access for the apps on your device.
The steps to allow apps to access your device’s microphone vary depending on the device’s operating system. Therefore, check your manual or the manufacturer’s website for detailed instructions.
Reduce the Signal Interference from Other Devices
When using the Barracuda X headset in a wireless setup and sometimes in a wired setup, the mic can stop working because of signal interference from other sources.
Other wireless devices in the vicinity of your Barracuda X headset will likely be broadcasting their signal in the same frequency range as the headsets.
You can reduce signal interference by switching off these devices and leaving only the headset on. Some devices that can cause interference include baby monitors, routers, wireless video cameras, and microwaves.
You can move the headset away from these devices if switching them off is not viable.
Also, reduce the signal interference by moving the headset closer to your device and removing any barriers between the headset and your device (2.4GHz wireless dongle).
You can remedy this by using a USB extension cable to move the Razer wireless dongle away from the USB 3.0 device and connection. The cable will also help you move the dongle closer to the headset.
Notably, you must separate the USB 3.0 devices from the headset connections and move the headset closer to the dongle in case you use a Bluetooth connection.
Set the Default Mic
Our devices sometimes require us to select the default audio input device, especially if you have never connected the headset before.
Selecting the default audio input device also ensures that we are using the Barracuda X mic and not trying to use the mic of a headset that has been disconnected from your device.
You can select the default mic for your Windows device by following the steps below:
- Ensure the headset is connected to your device.
- Press the Windows + R keys once the headset is connected to your device.
- Enter mmsys.cpl in the dialogue box that will pop up, and click OK.
- Go to the Recording tab on the new window that will appear.
- Right-click on the open window and ensure the ‘Show disabled device’ option is checked.
- If you are using the mic headset via Bluetooth, find the Hands-Free AG Audio. Find the High-Definition Audio Device or Realtek Audio Device if you use the headset in a 3.5mm connection or the USB dongle. Sometimes, the Razer mic will appear as ‘Razer Barracuda X 2.4’ when using the USB dongle.
- Ensure the selected mic is enabled, then right-click on it and select the ‘Set as default device’ option.
- Click OK on the open window to close it.
You can also select the default mic on your macOS device by selecting the Apple menu > System settings > Sound > Input, then select the Razer mic.
You can set the Barracuda as the default mic on a PS5 by selecting Settings, then going to Sound > microphone > Input device and selecting Razer Barracuda X 2.4 if you use the USB dongle.
Changing Mic Input on a PS5 – Step-by-Step Guide
The above adjustments will help ensure your device uses the Barracuda mic as the primary microphone. Try other suggestions if setting the mic as the default does not work.
Also, check your device’s user manual on selecting the default mic if it wasn’t mentioned above.
Change the Connection Method
The problem of the mic not working could be isolated to only one connection method. You can check if this is the case by changing the connection type between your device and the headsets.
The Barracuda X headset uses three connection methods, i.e., the USB-C connection, Bluetooth, and the 3.5mm connection.
The headsets can connect to two different devices via Bluetooth and the USB dongle at the same time. Or, it can be connected to one device using both connection types.
When you triple-press the SmartSwitch/power button below the status LED, the headsets switch from one connection mode to another. The LED will light white briefly to show that the headset is connected using both methods.
You can tell the headset is in Bluetooth pairing mode when the LED flashes blue, while a solid blue LED means the headset is already connected to a device via Bluetooth. It will light solid green when the headset is connected to your device via the USB dongle.
However, the headset must be powered on and connected to a device using Bluetooth or the USB dongle for the SmartSwitch button to work.
Alternatively, you can change from the USB dongle connection to Bluetooth and not use both connections simultaneously. To do this, power off the headset by long pressing the power/ SmartSwitch button until an audio prompt notifies you that the headset is powered off.
Then, disconnect the dongle from your device and power on the headset by pressing the power/ SmartSwitch button for five seconds. The status LED will then begin to flash blue to show the headset is in pairing mode.
You can also follow the same procedure when changing from a Bluetooth to a USB connection; simply power off the headset and disable Bluetooth on your device.
Connect the dongle to your device and power on the Barracuda headset. The headset will automatically connect to the dongle.
You can also connect the 3.5 mm cable to the headsets while the headset is powered off. The cable’s end will go into the 3.5mm audio/mic combo jack below the USB-C charging port.
The other end of the cable will go into the 3.5mm port on your device.
You can also connect the headset to a different device to check if the issue is with the headset or your device.
Update the Firmware
Sometimes, the problem with the mic could be originating from a firmware bug or misconfiguration. Either way, both aspects can be solved by updating your device’s or the headset’s firmware.
The manufacturer pushes firmware updates to solve common problems and include new features on the device.
Therefore, check your device support website or the manual for instructions on updating the firmware or if an update is available.
Since the Razer X headset is incompatible with the Synapse program, you cannot use it to update the headset’s firmware. Additionally, the headsets rarely receive updates, so do not expect to receive one.
Also, the headsets come in two versions, i.e., the 2021 and 2022 versions, so you should be careful to download the correct update.
You can check for the latest firmware update on the support website to begin the update process.
Once you have the updater, install it on your device as an admin if you have a Windows device. Then follow the steps below;
- Connect the USB dongle to your device, then click Next on the updater.
- Use a USB to connect the headset to your device and click update.
- Wait for the update to complete, then close the updater. Note that the updating process can take up to fifteen minutes.
Restart the Windows Audio Service
Another troubleshooting measure you can take is restarting the Windows audio service. The mic could have stopped working because of a misconfiguration of the service.
The steps to restart the service are as follows:
- Press the Windows +R keys to open the run dialogue, then enter ‘services.msc‘ and click OK.
- Next, look for the following Windows Audio, Windows Audio Endpoint Builder, and Remote Procedure Call (RPC). Check the status column to see if they are running.
- Right-click on any of the services, then click Start if a service is not running. Also, Stop and then Start the services if they were running.
- You can also use the Refresh/Restart option to restart the service.
- Finally, restart your device and check if the mic works.
Use the Troubleshooter
Windows devices have a troubleshooter that helps identify and solve various problems, including when the mic refuses to work.
You can run the troubleshooter by following the steps below:
- Select Start from the taskbar.
- Then click on Settings > System > Sound.
- Click on the Troubleshoot standard sound problems option, select Input Devices, and follow the onscreen prompts.
You can run the troubleshooter a few more times if it does not work for the first time. Alternatively, go to System > Troubleshoot > Other Troubleshooters > Recording Audio.
Increase the Mic Gain
Another issue that could be making the mic ineffective is that it is not sensitive enough. When that is the case, the mic might pick audio signals, but they are too low to detect.
You can increase the gain by following these steps:
- Open the Control panel by searching for it in the search box on the taskbar.
- Next, click on the Sound option and wait for the new window to pop up.
- Click the Recording tab and then right-click on the Razer X mic.
- Go to Properties and click on Levels.
- Raise the mic level to a higher value.
You can do the same thing on your MacBook by going to Sound > Input and adjusting the volume levels for your microphone.
Uninstall/Update Your Device’s Audio Drivers
The issue could also be that the audio drivers on your Windows device are misconfigured. Fortunately, you can solve this by uninstalling and reinstalling the audio drivers.
You can do this by following the steps below:
- Search for the Device Manager and open it
- Go to Audio Inputs and Outputs once the device manager is opened
- Next, expand the drivers list and right-click on the Razer X drivers and the device drivers.
- Next, go to Update > Search automatically for drivers and follow the onscreen prompts.
- You can repeat the same process and disable then enable or uninstall the drivers.
- The device will re-install the drivers once you restart it.
- Consider repeating the same process with the Razer drivers under the options of Sound, Video, and game controllers.
Close Apps that Can Access the Mic
The mic not working issue could also be caused by other apps installed on your device, especially if these apps also have mic access. Also, apps meant to enhance the audio quality can affect the mic’s work.
Therefore, close and uninstall the apps, then check whether the mic is working. That includes the 7.1 surround sound and the Razer audio app.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: Why is my Razer microphone not working?
- Answer: The mic not working could be because of any of the following reasons:
- The mic is muted or incorrectly connected to the headset.
- The port and connector on the mic and your device could be dirty or damaged.
- The settings on your device could also be the issue.
- Question: Does the Razer Barracuda X have a built-in mic?
- Answer: The Razer Barracuda X headset does not have a built-in mic. It uses an external detachable microphone.
- Question: How do I use my Razer Barracuda X mic on PC?
- Answer: Connect the headset to your PC with the 3.5mm cable, USB dongle, or Bluetooth. The mic should start working, but if it does not, troubleshoot it.
The Razer Barracuda X headset is excellent, especially if you intend to use it with your mobile device. It has shortcomings, like not being compatible with the Razer Synapse program.
The headset mic will stop working occasionally, but the guidelines above will help you get it working quickly. You can contact Razer support for further assistance if the provided troubleshooting tips do not help. Remember to notify them of the measures you have already taken to hasten the help they offer.
You can also get a replacement mic if you are certain yours is damaged.