JBL on-ear headphones and earbuds are popular among many thanks to their quality and features. To adequately utilize your headphones, you have to know how to turn them on and enable pairing mode.
Hence this article will guide you through enabling pairing mode on many of the JBL over-ear headphones. Then we will look into how you can pair the headphones to your laptop, assuming both devices have Bluetooth capabilities.
- To pair your headphones to a laptop, first enable pairing mode on the headphones.
- When you power on the headphones for the first time or after a reset, they automatically go into pairing mode.
- Different models of JBL headphones follow different procedures to enable Bluetooth pairing.
- Ensure the headphones are adequately charged to avoid any problems with the pairing process.
- If prompted for a PIN on your laptop during the pairing process, use 0000.
- Ensure the laptop and headphones are within thirty feet of each other to ensure successful pairing.
- Disable Bluetooth on nearby devices to avoid signal interruption during the pairing process.
Enable Pairing Mode on the Headphones
JBL headphones are programmed to automatically go to pairing mode the first time you power them on or after resetting them.
Therefore, you can power the headphones on and continue the pairing process on your laptop if you have recently purchased or reset the headphones.
The headphones in JBL’s catalog follow slightly varying steps when powering them on.
For instance, headphones like the JBL TUNE500BT have a power button labeled with a circle that has a line partially running through it power button. To power on headphones with this power button, press it and hold for three seconds, and you will notice the LED light white, then start blinking blue to indicate the headphones are in pairing mode.
Other JBL headphones have a power switch that you move upwards or downwards, depending on the model. A good example is the JBL Tour One, which has a switch that you move downwards to turn on the headphones.
The power button is usually on the right earcup under or above the volume adjusting buttons. To know the exact position of your headphone’s power button, consult the user manual that you can access on JBL’s website.
If the headphones do not go into pairing mode when you power them on, you can manually enable pairing mode. The steps to do this also vary depending on the headphone’s model.
Models like the LIVE 650 and LIVE 500 have a Bluetooth button labeled with the Bluetooth logo, and you press and hold this button for two to three seconds to manually enable pairing.
Enabling Pairing Mode on JBL Live Headphones (LIVE 500 and LIVE 650)
The JBL E55BT also has a Bluetooth button, but to activate pairing mode, you have to press and hold it for five seconds.
Other models, like the TUNE 710BT, do not have a Bluetooth-labeled button and use the power button to enable pairing mode. If your headphones are of this kind, power them off first by pressing and holding the power button for three seconds.
JBL Tune 700 – How to Enable Pairing Mode
After the headphones are off, press and hold the power button for five seconds, and they will power on while in pairing mode.
On models like the Tour One M2 that has a sliding power button that also acts as the Bluetooth button, you can enable pairing mode by sliding the button to the bottom and holding it there for two seconds, and you should see the LED flash blue to show the headphones are in pairing mode.
For some models like the TUNE500BT, where the power button does not initiate pairing mode, you should use the volume up and multifunction key.
How to Initiate Pairing on JBL TUNE500BT Headphones
Press and hold the multifunction and volume up keys simultaneously for two seconds, and the pairing mode will be active.
Note that most JBL headphones have multipoint connectivity that allows them to be actively connected to two devices simultaneously, sometimes preventing the pairing of additional devices.
Using Multipoint Connectivity on JBL Headphones (JBL TUNE700BT)
To ensure this does not affect your pairing, disable Bluetooth on all other devices that have previously been connected to the headphones.
Connect the Headphones to Your Windows Laptop
After enabling the pairing mode on the headphones, the next step is to enable Bluetooth on the laptop and search for the headphone.
To do this on a Windows device, follow the steps below;
- Click on the Start Menu on the taskbar.
- Select Settings.
- If you have a Windows 11 device, go to Bluetooth & devices, then click on the slider to turn on Bluetooth if it is off.
- Then click on the + sign with the Add devices option at the top of the screen.
- If you do not see this option left, click the View more devices option, then select Add device.
- If you have a Windows 10 device, select Devices and navigate to Bluetooth & Other devices.
- Then ensure Bluetooth is turned on by clicking on the slider and that it says On.
- Select the Add Bluetooth or other device option and proceed to step V.
The following steps apply to both, Windows 10 and 11 devices.
- A new window will pop up on the screen where you will select Bluetooth.
- Wait for the laptop to search for available devices; your headphones should be among them. Confirm that the headphones are in pairing mode.
- The headphones will appear with the JBL name followed by the model’s name, e.g., LIVE 660 NC.
- Select the headphones from the list; they should be connected to your laptop now. If you are prompted for a PIN during this process, use 0000.
How to Pair JBL Bluetooth Headphones with a Windows 10 Laptop
Connect the Headphones to Your macOS Device
- Select the Apple Menu on your device and then go to System Settings.
- Select Bluetooth on the new window and ensure it is turned on by checking the left side of the open tab. If it is off, turn it on.
- The MacOS device will start scanning for available Bluetooth devices.
- Select your headphones; when you see them, select them and follow any prompts to complete pairing.
How to Pair JBL Bluetooth Headphones with a MacBook
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: Can you connect JBL wireless headphones to a laptop?
- Answer: Yes, you can wirelessly connect JBL headphones to any laptop as long as the laptop and headphones have Bluetooth capabilities. If you have problems setting up the Bluetooth connectivity, you can use the 3.5mm aux cable that comes with the headphones.
- Question: How to enable pairing mode on my JBL headphones?
- Answer: The steps to putting your JBL headphones in pairing mode vary depending on the model. If the headphones have a button labeled with the Bluetooth symbol, press and hold the button for two seconds while the headphones are on. You should see the LED flashing blue.
- Some models require you to press this button for five seconds instead of three.
- If the headphones do not have a Bluetooth-labeled button, you can use the power button and press and hold it for five seconds while the headphones are off, and you will see them turn on and go to pairing mode.
- Other models have a power/Bluetooth button that you slide down and hold for two seconds, and the headphones will be in pairing mode.
- Older models use the multifunction and volume-up buttons to enable pairing mode.
- Question: How to enable pairing mode on my JBL TUNE 500BT?
- Answer: Press and hold the volume up and the multifunction button simultaneously for two to five seconds. Ensure the headphones are on while doing this.
- The multifunction button is the button between the volume adjusting buttons.
It is very simple to pair your Bluetooth headphones to a laptop as long as you understand the functions of each button. Understandably the process can be hectic if you do not have a user manual, but fortunately, manuals for many of the JBL models are available on their site. Simply find the headphones you want to connect and look for the manuals or download options.
If you encounter persistent problems contact JBLs customer support for further assistance.