Turtle Beach gaming headsets are arguably some of the best-selling in the US. The reason is obvious. They offer a fantastic set of features and great performance at an affordable price. That’s their magic formula.
Turtle Beach Stealth 600 and 700 Gen 2 headsets are fully wireless with great battery lives (15 and 20 hours respectively), allowing you to play games for hours without needing to recharge. They are glasses-friendly thanks to their special Glasses Relief padding formula. Features like Superhuman Hearing and support for 3D Audio (when used on PS5) will give you a competitive advantage against other gamers. These two headsets will bring your gaming experience to a whole new level.
Believe it or not, things can get even better. With every new update, your Turtle Beach Stealth 600 and 700 Gen 2 headsets will improve their performance or get new features. That’s why you need to update your Turtle Beach gaming headset regularly. But do you know how to do it?
In this post, I will guide you through the whole process of updating your Turtle Beach Stealth 600 or Stealth 700 Gen 2 headset. I will also explain why it is important to update your gaming headset and offer a few troubleshooting tips in case you experience difficulties while trying to update your headset.
- To update your Turtle Beach Stealth 600 or 700 Gen 2 headset, you have to use the Turtle Beach Audio Hub app and your PC or Mac. You cannot update your headset through your PS4/PS5 or Xbox.
- Before installing the Turtle Beach Audio Hub app, you will be asked to select your Turtle Beach headset model and version (for Xbox or PS4/PS5). This is an important step since some headsets come without the wireless USB adapter. If they do come with an adapter, you have to update both – the headset and the updater.
- Once you download the right version, install it, open it, and connect your headset and a USB adapter, the app will automatically recognize your headset and update it.
- If you experience issues while trying to update your headset or after the update, you could try updating it again, restoring the headset’s firmware to the previous version, or resetting the headset to factory default settings.
Recommended Reading :
Turtle Beach Stealth 600 Gen 2 VS Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2
Stealth 600 Gen 2 and Stealth 700 Gen 2 are two fairly similar gaming headsets. Stealth 700 Gen 2 is, naturally, a bit more advanced.
There are two versions of each headset – different headset versions are used for PS4/PS5 and Xbox. So, there are four gaming headsets in total.
Turtle Beach Stealth 600 Gen 2 Headsets
Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 Headsets
Both headsets are wireless with built-in rechargeable batteries, but Stealth 700 Gen 2 has a longer battery life – 15h VS 20h.
Furthermore, Stealth 700 Gen 2 features Bluetooth connectivity, along with a proprietary wireless protocol used to connect the headset to your gaming console. So, your Stealth 700 Gen 2 headset can be connected to your gaming console and your phone at the same time. Stealth 600 Gen 2 headsets don’t support Bluetooth connectivity.
Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 headset for Xbox doesn’t come with a USB wireless adapter – it will connect to your Xbox wirelessly without the adapter. The other three headsets (Stealth 600 Gen 2 for PS4/PS5 and Xbox, as well as Stealth 700 Gen 2 for PS4/PS5) come with a USB adapter.
Both headset models support Super Human Hearing and have a Glasses-Friendly Design. They both have flip-up mics with adjustable monitoring.
When it comes to updating, both headsets follow the same update procedure.
Why Do You Have to Update Your Turtle Beach 600 and 700 Gen 2 Gaming Headsets?
For starters, when the manufacturer introduces new features or improves the existing ones, they won’t be automatically added to your headset. You have to update it to get those new features and improved performance.
Furthermore, gaming headsets are not perfect. Even though they are tested intensively before mass production, some hidden firmware issues and bugs are discovered after. To fix these issues, manufacturers release new updates.
So, if you experience some kind of issue with your Turtle Beach gaming headset, updating it might fix the issue. For example, if the headset won’t connect, if it keeps disconnecting, if the mic feedback is bad, or if the headset won’t turn on, you should try updating it.
Updating Turtle Beach Stealth 600 and 700 Gen 2 – Step-by-Step Guide
Updating your Turtle Beach headset takes less than 5 minutes. The procedure is straightforward.
First, go to the Turtle Beach website and download the Turtle Beach Audio Hub app.
When you land on the download page, you will be asked to select your model. Then, select the version compatible with your operating system (Windows or MacOS).
When you download and install the app, open it, and then connect your headset and a USB dongle that came with it to your PC (unless you are trying to update Stealth 700 Gen 2 that doesn’t come with a USB dongle). It is important to connect both to your PC – they both need to be updated.
The app, if it’s already open, will automatically recognize the headset and start updating it. First, it will download files. Then, it will update the headset.
When you get a popup message that your device is up to date, you can disconnect the headset and connect it to your gaming console.
For detailed video instructions, watch the video below.
How to Update Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 – VIDEO TUTORIAL
The Headset Won’t Update Via the Turtle Beach Audio Hub
It doesn’t happen that often, but it’s possible to get a “Device Error” message when trying to update your Turtle Beach Stealth 600 or 700 Gen 2 headset. Your headset might even end up bricked in the process. But don’t worry – it’s not actually bricked.
This issue usually happens to people who use a PC running on Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 7. The Turtle Beach website clearly states the Audio Hub app is designed for Windows 10 and 11. However, it also happens to people with Windows 10 PCs.
The solution that worked for most users was using a different PC. So, don’t try to repeat the update process on the same PC – it will probably not work. Install the Audio Hub app onto a different Windows 10/11 PC, and try updating your headset and your USB dongle afresh.
What If You Experience Issues After Updating Your Turtle Beach Stealth 600 or 700 Gen 2 Headset?
Depending on the state of your headset after updating it, you can try two things to fix it and remove potential firmware bugs. You can either restore your headset to the previous firmware version or reset the headset to the factory settings and try updating it again.
If you are experiencing connection issues, sound issues, or mic issues, you can try either fix. However, if you can’t even turn on your headset, your only option is to try to restore the headset to the previous firmware version. You won’t be able to reset your gaming headset if you can’t turn it on.
If you are having issues with your Stealth 700 Gen 2 for Xbox, you could also use the Recovery Tool to fix it.
Restore Your Turtle Beach Headset to the Previous Firmware Version
This is basically the only thing you can try if your headset appears to be bricked. You can’t reset it. There’s no guarantee that the Audio Hub app will offer you this option or even recognize the headset, but if it does, click on RESTORE and see what happens.
Reset Turtle Beach Stealth 600 or 700 Gen 2 Headsets
If you can turn on your Stealth 600/700 Gen 2 headset but are having issues with the connection, mic, or sound, you could try resetting it to factory default settings. After the reset, try updating it afresh.
The reset procedure is not the same for Stealth 600 Gen 2 and Stealth 700 Gen 2. Also, the Xbox and PS versions of the Stealth 600 Gen 2 headsets follow different reset procedures.
Reset Turtle Beach Stealth 600 Gen 2 for Xbox
Make sure the headset is turned on. Press the MODE and CONNECT buttons simultaneously for about 10 seconds. Release them when the LED turns off. Your headset is now reset.
Resetting Stealth 600 Gen 2 for Xbox – Video Tutorial
Reset Turtle Beach Stealth 600 Gen 2 for PS
I was hoping that I could reset the PS version of the Stealth 600 Gen 2 headset by pressing some button combo but, according to Turtle Beach, you have to use the Audio Hub app to reset it. Turtle Beach calls this process “Headset Recovery”. I’m not 100% sure that it’s the same thing as RESET, but it’s the only thing that resembles the reset procedure.
You will start by disconnecting the transmitter from your gaming console and turning off the headset.
Connect the transmitter and the headset to your PC’s USB ports.
The next step is very important. It’s basically the only thing that makes the update process different from this “Headset Recovery” process. Find a paper clip or some other sharp and thin object, and use it to press the button inside a pinhole on the side of the transmitter. The LED on the transmitter should blink red once.
Now, open the Turtle Beach Audio Hub app and update your headset. After the update is finished, disconnect the transmitter and headset from your PC, and connect the transmitter to your console. Turn on the headset and give it some time (approx. 1 minute) to establish communication with the transmitter.
Reset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 (Xbox and PS Versions)
Turn on your headset. If the LED is just glowing red or the buttons are unresponsive, skip this step.
Press the MODE and BLUETOOTH buttons simultaneously and don’t release them until the headset turns off. It may take up to 30 seconds.
Resetting Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2
Recovery Tool for Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 for Xbox
If you experience problems while trying to update your Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 for Xbox or after updating it, you could try using the Turtle Beach Recovery Tool to fix it. This tool proved to be effective when dealing with unresponsive headsets and headsets that won’t turn on.
Using the Turtle Beach Recovery Tool to Fix an Unresponsive Stealth 700 Gen 2 Gaming Headset for Xbox
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: Can I update Turtle Beach Stealth 600 Gen 2?
- Answer: Yes, you can. You have to use your PC (Windows or Mac) and the Turtle Beach Audio Hub app. When you connect your headset (and your transmitter) to the PC and open the app, it will automatically recognize your headset and update it.
- Question: What is the difference between Turtle Beach 600 and 700 Gen 2?
- Answer: There are a few differences between the two models. The 700 Gen 2 has a better battery life (20h VS 15h). Also, the 700 Gen 2 model features Bluetooth, while the 600 Gen 2 doesn’t. The 700 Gen 2 headset for Xbox doesn’t come with a USB transmitter (it’s not needed), while the 600 Gen 2 headset comes with a USB transmitter.
- Overall, 700 Gen 2 headsets feature better build quality, deliver more consistent sound, and have a better boom mic.
- Question: How to fix Turtle Beach Stealth 600 Gen 2?
- Answer: First, try updating your Turtle Beach Stealth 600 Gen 2. If you’re using the Xbox version, you could also try resetting it by pressing the Mode and Connect buttons until the headset turns off. To fix the PS version, try performing the “Headset Recovery”. Furthermore, if the issue happened after the firmware update, try restoring the previous firmware version through the Audio Hub app.
- Question: How to make Stealth 600 Gen 2 louder?
- Answer: First, try using the volume dials on the left cup. If you want to make your voice louder, use the Mic Monitor dial. To make everything else louder, use the Master Volume dial. If that’s not enough, go to your gaming console’s audio settings and check the volume levels.
- Question: Can you use Stealth 600 Gen 2 without a transmitter?
- Answer: No, Stealth 600 Gen 2 comes with a transmitter for a reason. It sends audio wirelessly to your headset using a proprietary wireless protocol.
- Question: How do I update my Stealth 700 Gen 2 transmitter?
- Answer: Your transmitter and your gaming headset have to be updated simultaneously – they both have to be connected to your PC during the update process (assuming that you’re using the PS version). Once they are connected, you can open the Audio Hub app, and let it update your headset (and your transmitter).
- The Xbox version of the Stealth 700 Gen 2 doesn’t come with a transmitter, so you don’t have to update anything but your headset.
- Question: Can you use Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 without a transmitter?
- Answer: If it’s the Xbox version, the only way to use it is without the transmitter. The Xbox version features native support for Xbox wireless audio protocol, so the transmitter is not required.
- The PS version of the headset has to be used with the included transmitter.
Updating your Turtle Beach Stealth 600 and 700 could make these great gaming headsets even better. I hope this guide helped you understand what you need to do to update your headset properly.
If you experience any issues during or after the update, try the suggested troubleshooting tips to fix the headset and start the updating process afresh.