My workout buddies often brag about their waterproof headphones. They usually wear them while jogging in the rain and wipe the sweat off their brow in the gym without the headphones succumbing to any damage. Some even claim to shower with their headsets. To satiate my envy and fit in with the rest of the crew, I bought a pair of Beats Studio 3 headphones.
You should’ve seen the grin on my face when my new headphones arrived at my doorstep. And boy, oh boy, I was delighted when I unboxed the headphones and tried them on. These wireless headphones are sleek and super comfortable. They have an excellent build quality to match their remarkable battery life.
After all the ecstasy and excitement, one question remains. Are Beats Studio 3 waterproof? Let’s find out.
- Beats Studio 3 headphones are not waterproof. They don’t even have an IPX rating in the first place.
- Beats by Dre only make a select range of earphones with water-resistant properties. The Beats Studio 3 headphones are not among them.
- Since Beats Studio 3 headphones are not waterproof, exposure to excess sweat and moisture can damage them.
- While Beats Studio 3 headphones are not waterproof, you can wrap the earpads with foam covers to make them water-resistant.
- It is vital to keep your Beats Studio 3 headphones dry to extend their lifespan. If the headphones get wet, wipe them with a soft and dry lint-free fabric to reduce the risk of damage.
- Your Beats Studio 3 warranty does not cover headphones damaged by water.
Recommended Reading :
Are Beats Studio 3 Headphones Waterproof?
I know you’re eager to find out whether the Beats Studio 3 headphones are waterproof. The sad truth is that they are not. These premium wireless headphones do not have an IPX (Ingress Protection) rating in the first place, meaning they are prone to water damage.
The only reprieve is that they can withstand light exposure to sweat and moisture. The headphones have a solid build quality and are resistant to slight spills and raindrops. However, their resistance to elements fades with time, meaning you must take extra precautionary measures to protect your headphones.
Your Beats Studio 3 warranty does not cover headphones damaged by water. You may have to repair or replace your headphones from your pockets in case of water damage.
Using Beats Studio 3 for Sports
Do Beats by Dre Make Waterproof Headphones?
Beats by Dre only make a select range of earphones with sweat and water-resistant properties. The Beats Studio 3 headphones are not among them.
The only sweat and water-resistant products by Beats include Beats Fit Pro earbuds, Beats Studio Buds +, Powerbeats Pro, Powerbeats, and Beats Studio Buds.
Please note that water-resistant headphones are not the same as waterproof headphones. Water-resistant headphones can only withstand sweat and moisture up to a certain degree. Excess exposure to water can still damage them. Besides, water resistance diminishes with time as your headphones age. In contrast, waterproof headphones are impermeable and provide a complete barrier against water.
How Do You Make Your Beats Studio 3 Waterproof?
While Beats Studio 3 headphones are not waterproof, there’s a workaround for this problem. You can “waterproof” your headphones by wrapping the earpads with waterproof earpad covers, allowing you to use your headset in wet conditions.
Although they impact comfort and sound quality, these ear covers allow me to work out in the gym or jog in the rain without worrying about damaging my headphones. They prevent condensed sweat and excess moisture from penetrating the headphones’ circuitry. The best part is that these moisture-resistant covers are washable and replaceable, so I don’t have to worry if they get dirty or wear out.
Universal Earpad Covers Compatible with Beats Studio 3 Headphones
Covering the pivoting cups is not the only way to waterproof your Beats Studio 3 headphones. Since the headset supports wireless and wired connectivity, you can wrap the 3.5mm analog input with electrical tape to safeguard the wiring from moisture. Trust me. This hack works almost all the time.
What to Do If Beats Studio 3 Headphones Get Wet?
Sometimes, you might mistakenly or inevitably expose your Beats Studio 3 headphones to water. Excess sweat and moisture can cause irreversible damage to your headphones. The worst part is that your Beats warranty does not cover water damage.
Fortunately, the chances of your headphones surviving are high if the exposure is light and the moisture doesn’t penetrate the circuitry.
Here’s what you can do to salvage your Beats Studio 3 headphones if they get wet:
- The first step is to turn off the headphones immediately. Leaving them on can cause the circuitry to short-circuit and damage your earphones.
- Identify problem areas and wipe excess sweat and moisture from the headphones using a dry, lint-free fabric.
- Leave the headphones outdoors under a shade and away from direct sunlight to dry naturally. You can place them facing a fan to speed up the drying process.
- Leave your headphones untouched for several hours to ascertain they are completely dry.
- Do not charge Beats headphones while they are wet. Doing so might damage the circuit board or cause electric shock.
- Once you are sure they are dry, turn the headphones on to see if they work. If you notice any issues, contact Apple support for assistance.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: Do Beats Studio 3 headphones have waterproof materials?
- Answer: No. Beats Studio 3 headphones are neither waterproof nor water-resistant. Exposure to excess sweat and water can cause irreversible damage, forcing you to purchase a replacement. However, you can protect your headphones from water damage by wrapping the earphones with water-resistant covers. If using a wired connection, wrap the 3.5mm analog input with electrical tape to protect the wiring.
- Question: Can I wear my Beats Studio 3 in the shower?
- Answer: Not at all. Beats Studio 3 headphones are not waterproof, meaning you cannot use them in the shower. The pressurized water jets from the showerhead can damage your headphones. Also, do not go with your headphones in a steam bath or sauna to protect them from humid conditions and water damage.
- Question: Can I work out with Beats Studio 3 headphones?
- Answer: Yes. You can work out with your Beats Studio headphones in the gym. However, avoid intense workouts that can cause you to sweat profusely. Working out in the rain is also not a good idea. The headphones are not sweat- or water-resistant and can get damaged from sweaty gym sessions and working out in wet conditions. Remember to wipe excess moisture and sweat from the headphones with a dry, lint-free cloth to safeguard your headphones.
- Question: What happens if my Beats Studio 3 headphones get wet?
- Answer: Several things can happen if your Beats Studio 3 headphones get wet. It all depends on the extent of moisture exposure. If the headphones are slightly damp, they can continue working, but you must first wipe them and let them dry before using them. In the worst-case scenario, your Beats headphones might get damaged. If this is the case, the only solution is to buy a replacement since the Beats warranty does not cover water damage.
- Question: How do you fix wet Beats Studio 3 headphones?
- Answer: Fixing wet Beats Studio 3 headphones involves several steps. First, turn off the headphones to prevent short-circuiting and electric shock. Next, wipe problem areas with a dry, lint-free fabric and leave the headphones to dry naturally for several hours. You can place the headphones under a shade away from direct sunlight. Avoid charging the headphones while wet, as this might cause irreversible damage. Once dry, power on the headphones to see if they work.
Beats Studio 3 headphones are not waterproof or water-resistant. You can imagine the look on my face when I met my workout buddies with my new pair of headphones. I thought I would beat them in their own game with my Beats headset. Fortunately, I discovered ways to protect the headphones from water damage. Use this guide to keep your Beats Studio 3 headphones safe from moisture damage and prolong their lifespan.