Bose SoundLink Color 2 is a compact and popular Bluetooth speaker known for its impressive audio performance and vibrant design. If you are reading this article, you are probably here because your Bose SoundLink Color 2 won’t turn on when you need it the most.
In this detailed guide, I will guide you through the troubleshooting steps that can help you fix the issue and enjoy your favorite music again. Going through the troubleshooting steps is essential before you ask Bose support for help because, in most cases, the solution is simple. This will definitely save you some time and money.
So, let’s begin!
- Troubleshooting steps are essential before seeking professional help. Check basic factors like battery charge, power button, and charging equipment.
- Updating the SoundLink Color 2 firmware can resolve certain issues.
- Battery Protection Mode may cause the speaker to appear unresponsive.
- Resetting the speaker can address software glitches.
- A faulty battery might be the cause, with signs including short battery life and inconsistent charging. Replacing the battery should be done by contacting Bose support or a professional technician.
- Overheating can affect the speaker’s functionality; troubleshooting steps include letting it cool down and cleaning debris and dirt.
- If all else fails, contacting Bose customer support with the product’s serial number is recommended.
Recommended Reading :
Before You Begin
Before I start with more advanced troubleshooting steps, it is important to check a few things first and determine why your Bose SoundLink Color 2 won’t turn on.
Let’s start with the basics.
- Make sure that the speaker is charged enough. Connect the speaker to a charger for at least 15 minutes and check the battery status indicator. After that, try turning it on again.
- Check the power button. Make sure that the Power button is working properly. Press the button firmly and hold it for a few seconds to turn the speaker on. If the button seems loose or unresponsive, this might be the reason why your Bose SoundLink Color 2 won’t turn.
- Check the charging cable and adapter. Make sure the charging cable is in good condition, and there is no visible damage to it. If you are using a new charger and adapter, make sure that you are using the proper one for the SoundLink Color 2. If you use the wrong charger, it might not provide enough power to turn the speaker on.
- If you are charging it on your laptop or computer, connect the USB charging cable to a different USB port.
- Use a different USB cable or a different charger.
Bose SoundLink Color 2 Charger and Micro-USB Cable
- Connect the charger to a different AC power source.
Now, if none of the basic troubleshooting steps has helped you fix the issue, you can move on to the next steps in this troubleshooting guide.
You might be dealing with a bug that prevents your speaker from turning on if the battery drains out completely.
Bose has issued a new firmware version to fix this issue. All you need to do is update the Soundlink Color 2 firmware using your computer.
Here is how to do it properly:
- Connect the speaker and your computer using a USB cable.
- Download and install the Bose Updater from https://btu.bose.com/
- Launch the app on the computer, and the Bose Updater will inform you whether there is a new firmware upgrade for your Soundlink Color 2.
- If there is a new version, click on Update Now and follow the instructions.
- Once the firmware update completes, disconnect the speaker from the computer and try to turn it on.
Updating Bose SoundLink Color 2
Exit Battery Protection Mode or Ship Mode
If you don’t use the speaker for 3 days, the battery is below 10%, and the speaker is not connected to a power source, your speaker will go to Battery Protection Mode.
This helps preserve battery life. This is pretty normal for new products since they haven’t been turned on for more than 24 days.
One of the solutions to try would be to disable/exit the Ship Mode.
To enable Ship Mode:
- Plug the SoundLink Color 2 charger into a functional power outlet.
- Press and hold the multifunction button for ten seconds.
- While holding the multifunction button, unplug the USB cable from the speaker.
- Release the multifunction button and then reconnect the speaker to the USB cable.
- Connect the speaker to the charger to exit ship Mode. Let it charge for at least 15 minutes to an hour.
If connecting the speaker to a charger doesn’t help and your speaker is still in this Ship mode, try re-enabling the Ship mode and disabling it.
Reset The Speaker
If a software glitch is preventing your Soundlink Color 2 from turning on, resetting the speaker might solve the issue.
- While the speaker is off, press and hold the “Power” button for about 10 seconds.
- Once it restarts, release the “Power” button.
- After the reset is complete, test if the issue of not turning on has been resolved.
Is the Battery Faulty?
Sometimes the reason why your Bose SoundLink Color 2 won’t turn on could be a faulty battery. It is normal for batteries to downgrade over time, and if you’ve been using your speaker extensively, the battery may be dead.
Some of the signs of a faulty battery are short battery life, no charging indicator, and inconsistent charging.
Now, if you suspect that you’re dealing with a faulty battery, you should replace it. Here are a few ways to address this issue:
- Contact Bose Support. You can contact Bose customer support or visit their official website to see if they offer battery replacement services for your SoundLink Color 2 model.
- Replace the battery yourself. If the warranty has expired and you are a tech-savvy person, replacing the battery yourself is another option. Please don’t do this if you are not comfortable with electronics and don’t have all the necessary tools. Look for replacement batteries compatible with your speaker model.
- Make sure to refer to the manufacturer’s official instructions or search for some online guides for detailed step-by-step instructions on how to replace the battery.
Taking Bose SoundLink Color 2 Apart
- Professional Repair: If you are not confident in your ability to replace the battery or if your speaker is still under warranty, it is best to have the battery replaced by a professional technician. Contact Bose or an authorized service center for assistance.
Replacing the battery, if necessary, can breathe new life into your SoundLink Color 2, allowing it to power on reliably once again.
Overheating can have a significant impact on the functionality of your Bose SoundLink Color 2. Excessive heat can cause your speaker to malfunction.
If you believe that your Bose SoundLink Color 2 is overheating, follow these steps:
- Let it cool down. If your speaker feels too hot, power it off and let it cool down for some time. Try to turn it again once it cools down.
- Check for dust and debris. Check the vents and ports and see whether there is excessive dust and debris. Use a soft brush or compressed air to clean them.
- Change the Environment. If you are using the speaker in a hot environment, place it in a cooler spot with better airflow.
Contact Bose Support
If you have followed the solutions presented in this article and your Soundlink Color 2 still won’t turn on, you should consider contacting Bose customer support.
There are several different options to contact support: using their website’s Contact page, using the Live chat support option, by email, phone, or even through their social media accounts.
Have your product’s serial number prepared before getting in touch. You can find the serial number on the bottom or the back of the speaker.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: What do I do if my Bose Soundlink speaker won’t turn on?
- Answer: Check the battery charge to make sure it is not depleted. Test the power button. Verify the charging cable and adapter are in good condition and compatible. After that, follow the instructions presented in this article.
- Question: Why has my Bose speaker stopped working?
- Answer: This can happen for several reasons, including a depleted battery, battery protection mode, power button issues, firmware issues, or even a faulty battery. Troubleshoot gradually to identify the specific issue.
- Question: How long do Bose batteries last?
- Answer: The lifespan of Bose batteries varies depending on usage and model. On average, they can last from 2 to 10 years. It is important to follow proper charging and care practices to maximize battery longevity.
Even though I did my best to provide you with a detailed troubleshooting guide, there may be situations where professional assistance is necessary.
I am sure this guide will help you troubleshoot and resolve the issue with your Bose SoundLink Color 2 that won’t turn on. At the same time, this guide should help you save time and avoid paying for potentially costly repairs or replacements.
If none of the solutions work, don’t hesitate to contact Bose customer support for help and warranty-related services.