I’ve been planning a major party for my nephew’s upcoming graduation. So, I asked my buddies for advice on the best party speakers for such celebrations. They did not hesitate to recommend the JBL Boombox speaker. To avoid disappointment, I bought the speaker two months before the event to try it out. As expected, it didn’t disappoint.
The JBL Boombox is undoubtedly one of the most powerful portable speakers. Aside from its stylish design, the Boombox delivers deep, thundering bass. Moreover, it has a remarkable battery life of up to 24 hours on a single charge. So impressive is the speaker that my buddies have been borrowing it for their backyard BBQ parties.
However, my joy was short-lived when my JBL Boombox started acting up. It couldn’t turn off after pressing the power button. After draining the battery, the speaker wouldn’t turn on even after charging.
Fortunately, I discovered it is not a massive issue and can easily be solved. This guide explains why JBL Boombox won’t turn off/on and how to fix the problem.
- Your JBL Boombox speaker might not turn OFF/ON because of a stuck or broken power button. Clean the power button to remove clogs or replace the switch to fix the problem.
- A low charge might cause your JBL Boombox speaker not to turn on. Depending on the model, recharge the speaker for 4 to 6 hours to solve the issue.
- Your JBL Boombox speaker might not turn OFF/ON because it is in Service Mode, and the buttons have become unresponsive. Exit Service Mode to resolve the issue.
- Software glitches can cause your JBL Boombox to develop powering issues. Reset the speaker to factory defaults to correct bugs and glitches.
- Your JBL Boombox might not turn OFF/ON because of firmware issues. Check for and install the latest updates to solve the problem.
- Hardware failure and manufacturing defects can cause your JBL Boombox not to turn OFF/ON. Schedule a repair service to fix the problem.
Recommended Reading :
Reasons JBL Boombox Won’t Turn OFF/ON and How to Fix Them
A JBL Boombox speaker that won’t turn off or on can be confusing. After all, you expect the speaker to power on or off with a simple touch of a button. So, what happens when the JBL Boombox won’t turn OFF/ON? Here are the main culprits of this problem and how to fix them:
JBL BOOMBOX Won’t Turn On – Quick Hack
Broken or Stuck Power Button
If your JBL Boombox won’t turn OFF/ON, it might have a broken or stuck power switch. The power button on JBL speakers has a rigid design with a rubber coating. However, the internal connector might break or become loose with time from excessive pressure and frequent use.
The only way to fix a faulty power switch is to repair or replace it. Consult a professional technician for help since a DIY approach might complicate matters.
If the switch is stuck and not broken, you can fix it by cleaning the area around the button. Use a moderately damp cloth to wipe off dust and oil and remove clogs.
JBL Boombox Broken Power Button Fix
As with all portable speakers, your JBL Boombox has a rechargeable Lithium-ion battery, which provides up to 24 hours of playback.
However, you must recharge it frequently to maintain the desired battery level. If the battery is critically low, the speaker won’t turn on.
It is relatively easy to solve this problem. You only need to connect the speaker to a power source via USB to boost the battery. Depending on the model, a full recharge might take 4.5 to 6.5 hours.
Inadequate Power Supply
Sometimes, the buttons on your JBL Boombox might become unresponsive while connected to a power source. When this occurs, your JBL Boombox won’t turn OFF/ON when you press the power button.
The reason for this malfunction is an inadequate power supply. If the power source is not providing sufficient current, your speaker’s buttons will become unresponsive, causing it not to turn OFF/ON.
You can fix this problem by unplugging the charger and running the speaker exclusively on battery. Alternatively, switch to a different power source. Ensure it meets the power rating (20V 5A) indicated in the speaker’s specs.
JBL products have secret modes that protect the speaker from mishandling. Service Mode locks your JBL Boombox speaker by making the buttons unresponsive so no one can mess with your custom settings. If you enter Service Mode intentionally or mistakenly, your speaker won’t turn OFF/ON until you exit this feature.
Follow these steps to exit Service Mode:
- Connect your JBL Boombox to an external power source.
- Press the Bluetooth and Play/Pause buttons simultaneously.
- Release the buttons after 10 seconds.
- Press the Power button to see if your speaker can turn OFF/ON.
Firmware updates are critical to ensuring your JBL Boombox functions optimally. JBL recommends updating your speaker’s firmware to fix bugs and unlock new features. Failure to update the firmware can cause powering issues. Your JBL Boombox might not turn OFF/ON because of outdated firmware.
Here is how to update your JBL Boombox firmware:
- Download the JBL Portable app (iOS/Android) and install it on your device.
- Pair your JBL Boombox with your device via Bluetooth.
- Launch the JBL Portable app on your device.
- Select your JBL Boombox on the app.
- Tap the gear icon to check for the latest updates.
- Tap Update Now.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
Bugs and technical glitches result from incomplete firmware updates, misconfigured settings, and programming issues. Whatever the case, software bugs can cause your JBL Boombox speaker not to turn OFF/ON.
A simple reset can help fix the problem. Indeed, restoring your speaker to factory defaults can address various malfunctions, ranging from charging, sound, to pairing issues. However, your JBL Boombox must be on to reset it.
Here is how to reset your JBL Boombox:
- Ensure your JBL Boombox is ON.
- Press the Volume Up and Play/Pause buttons simultaneously.
- Keep holding the buttons for 3 seconds or more.
- Release the buttons when the speaker goes off.
- Allow the speaker to reboot.
- Pair your speaker with your device and verify if it can turn OFF/ON.
Resetting JBL Boombox 1 and 2
The JBL Boombox contains a high-capacity 20,000 mAh battery. This high-performance Lithium-ion battery promises to serve you for years to come. However, its charge-holding capacity will start diminishing after over 500 charge cycles. When the battery can’t hold a charge any longer, it might cause your JBL Boombox not to turn on.
Batteries inside JBL Boombox speakers can be replaced, but it’s not an easy task. You can purchase a high-capacity replacement on Amazon or some other trusted third-party vendor.
JBL Boombox Battery Replacement Tutorial
Your JBL Boombox might not turn ON because of overheating. While the speaker is waterproof and dust-resistant, it cannot withstand extreme temperatures. Exposing the speaker to direct sunlight and heat can cause it to turn off unexpectedly and not turn on again. The speaker has an auto-shutdown feature that turns the speaker off to protect it from heat damage.
The speaker placement is vital to protecting it from damage. Place the speaker in a cool place away from heat for optimal performance. If using it outdoors, place it under a shade away from direct sunlight.
Faulty Circuit Board
Although rare, power surges and spikes can damage the circuit board, causing your JBL Boombox not to turn OFF/ON. The system board might also become faulty from aging, leading to powering issues. If this is the case, the only practical solution is to take the speaker to a JBL service center or a professional technician.
Replacing the circuit board does not cost much. However, the fee will depend on the extent of the damage. Sometimes, it might involve replacing one or two capacitors or fixing the relay board. If you establish that the repair costs are more expensive, consider purchasing a new speaker.
It is not uncommon for audio manufacturers to issue recalls for their products. After all, mass production has its downsides. Some products might have defects, leading to quality and functionality issues.
Your JBL Boombox might have arrived with manufacturing defects, causing it not to turn OFF/ON. If so, you may be eligible for a free replacement. JBL won’t charge you for the replacement since the issue was not your fault.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: Why won’t my JBL Boombox turn off or on?
- Answer: Your JBL Boombox might not turn OFF/ON because of a broken switch, a low charge, software bugs, outdated firmware, or hardware failure. Overheating, insufficient power supply, and manufacturing defects can also cause your JBL Boombox to develop powering issues.
- Question: Why is my JBL Boombox charging but not turning on?
- Answer: Your JBL Boombox might charge but not turn on because of a stuck, broken, or faulty power switch. First, clean the power button to remove dirt and oils that might clog the switch. If that doesn’t work, replace the defective power button. Contact the nearest service center for professional assistance.
- Question: How do I force a JBL Boombox to turn off?
- Answer: Sometimes, your JBL Boombox might fail to turn off after pressing the power button. You can leave the speaker to drain the battery until it goes off. However, this option might take time, depending on the remaining charge. Alternatively, you may press the power button four times successively and long press on the fifth attempt for 10 seconds or until the speaker goes off.
- Question: What do I do if my JBL Boombox won’t turn on?
- Answer: First, recharge the speaker for several hours. The speaker might be low on charge, causing it not to turn on. If that doesn’t help, check the power button to see if it is stuck or faulty, and clean or replace it. If the switch works fine, swap the power supply. A low current might cause the speaker not to charge or turn on. You may also consider replacing the battery to see if it works.
- Question: How do I reset a JBL Boombox that won’t turn off?
- Answer: Resetting a JBL Boombox speaker entails pressing different button combinations. Fortunately, the process is fast and straightforward. With the speaker turned on, press the Volume Up and Play/Pause buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds until the speaker turns off. The speaker is reset and ready for pairing.
The JBL Boombox is undoubtedly one of the finest outdoor speakers. However, it is not immune to common malfunctions. Your JBL speaker might not turn off or on after pressing the power button. The cause might be anything from a low charge to hardware failure. Fortunately, powering issues are easily solvable. You can use these practical troubleshooting tips to fix the problem and restore your speaker.