My JBL Charge 3 has been serving me well over the years. And so, I did not hesitate to purchase the JBL Charge 4 when it came out in 2018. This waterproof Bluetooth speaker is far superior to its predecessor. It has better specs, including a high-capacity 7,500 mAh battery, faster charging times, and thundering bass – I couldn’t ask for more.
It has been five good years since I acquired the JBL Charge 4. While I haven’t had any issues with it, I recently noticed that sometimes it won’t turn on when I press the power button. I thought it was a one-off incident, but the problem has become persistent, and it’s getting under my skin.
I thought to myself, was it time to move on and get another speaker? Well, I’m not the type to give up easily. As a DIY enthusiast, I searched different sources and found the answers.
If you’re stuck with JBL Charge 4 not turning on, you can use my tips to troubleshoot your speaker.
- If your JBL Charge 4 won’t turn on even after charging, the power button might be stuck or defective. Press the button several times or replace the switch to fix the problem.
- Battery failure can cause your JBL Charge 4 not to turn on. Replace the battery to resolve the issue.
- An over-discharged battery can cause your JBL Charge 4 speaker not to power on. Connect the speaker to a charger and let it charge for a few moments to see if it works.
- Your JBL Charge 4 might not turn on because it is in service mode. Connect the speaker to a charger and simultaneously press the Bluetooth and play/pause buttons to exit service mode.
- Bugs and technical glitches can cause your JBL Charge 4 not to turn on. Reset the speaker by pressing the volume up (+) and Bluetooth buttons simultaneously for 10-15 seconds.
- JBL Charge 4 might fail to turn on due to low charge. Ensure your device is fully charged before using it.
Recommended Reading :
First Troubleshooting Steps
Before messing with your speaker, confirm that it works and can turn on. Here are the first steps to diagnose a JBL Charge 4 that won’t turn on.
Confirm That the Speaker Works
You might assume that your JBL Charge 4 is not turning on while it is already powered on. The power button on your JBL Charge 4 has a backlight that glows when your speaker is on. Press the power button once and check if the power LED lights up.
The JBL Charge 4 also has an auto-shut feature that turns off the speaker after 5-10 minutes of inactivity. If the speaker was previously on, it will automatically shut off when no music is playing. Press the power button to turn it back on.
Enable Sound Feedback
Another way to confirm if your JBL Charge 4 can turn on is through the feedback tone. When you press the power button, your speaker should emit a sound when turning on. You can turn the feedback tone on or off via the JBL Portable app (Android/iOS). Download and install the app on your phone and activate sound feedback.
Why Is My JBL Charge 4 Not Turning ON?
A JBL Charge 4 speaker that won’t turn on can be worrying, especially if you don’t know the cause of the problem. In any case, JBL speakers don’t come cheap. Fortunately, I have several practical tips to help you troubleshoot your speaker. Here are the top reasons your Bluetooth speaker is acting up and how to fix them.
A low charge is the main culprit of a JBL Charge 4 not turning on. Your JBL Charge 4 has a rechargeable battery that provides up to 20 hours of playback time. The battery requires frequent charging to meet your playback needs. Your JBL Charge 4 might not turn on if the battery is critically low.
The solution is somewhat straightforward. You only need to connect your speaker to a power source via the provided USB-C cable. Plug the cable into an adapter or computer’s USB port to recharge your speaker. Depending on the power source, a full charge takes about 4 hours.
How to Charge JBL Charge 4
Dirty/Clogged Power Button
The JBL Charge 4 is a portable Bluetooth speaker. It is also waterproof and dust-resistant, making it suitable for outdoor use. However, taking your speaker outdoors exposes it to all sorts of elements. Dirt might accumulate in the gaps around the power button, causing your speaker not to turn on when you press the switch.
Check the power button for accumulated sediments and clean it with a soft fabric. You can also press the power button several times to remove clogs. If that does not work, press and hold the power switch for at least 30 seconds until the speaker turns on.
Faulty Power Switch
Your JBL Charge 4 might not turn on because of a broken switch. Even though the power button is all rubber, it has a delicate connector that can break when subjected to excess pressure. The power switch can also become defective from normal wear and tear over time.
The only solution to fixing a faulty or broken power switch is to replace it. The good news is that the power button on your JBL Charge 4 speaker is replaceable. You can do it yourself or take the speaker to the nearest service center for repairs.
JBL Charge 4 Power Button Not Working – Quick Fix
Even though the JBL Charge 4 has a high-capacity battery, it can lose its ability to hold a charge over time. As such, the speaker won’t charge or turn on if the battery is dead. Your only option is to replace the battery.
Fortunately, replacing a JBL Charge 4 is easy if you have the right tools. You only need to disassemble the speaker to access the battery compartment. Alternatively, consult a professional for assistance if you are not a proficient technician.
Replacing the Battery on JBL Charge 4
An over-discharged battery is another possible reason your JBL Charge 4 won’t turn on. If you don’t use your speaker for weeks or months, the battery will self-discharge and become flat.
Dealing with an over-discharged battery is simple. Connect your JBL speaker to a charger via USB and let it charge for a few moments or even overnight. Once charged, press the power button to turn your speaker on.
Most JBL speakers have a feature called service mode. When activated, service mode locks the speaker and makes all buttons unresponsive. Your JBL Charge 4 won’t turn on if it is in service mode. The only way to restore your speaker is by exiting service mode.
Follow these steps to exit service mode:
- Plug a USB-C cable into your JBL Charge 4 speaker.
- Connect the cable to a charger and power source.
- Press the Bluetooth and play/pause buttons.
- Keep holding the buttons for 20 seconds.
- Release the buttons when the speaker turns on.
JBL Charge 4 Power Button Not Working – How to Disable the Service Mode (and LFE Mode)
Your JBL Charge 4 speaker might develop bugs or glitches, causing it not to turn on. It happens to all electronics. Software bugs occur from corrupt settings, electrostatic buildup, and programming errors. The quickest way to fix this problem is to reset your speaker.
For starters, let’s try resetting the speaker using the method explained in the manual and on the JBL website. If this method doesn’t work (it probably won’t), we will try a slightly different fix. Here are the steps:
- Press and hold the VOL UP (+) and Bluetooth buttons.
- Keep holding the buttons for 10-15 seconds.
- If sound feedback is active, you’ll hear a tone as the speaker goes off.
- Wait for about 15 seconds.
- Press the power button to turn your speaker on.
How to Reset JBL Charge 4
JBL Charge 4 Won’t Turn On – Power button and VOL UP FIX
Your speaker requires frequent updates to unlock new features and ensure it functions at its best. If you don’t update your speaker, it might act up and not turn on.
The good news is that the update process only requires a smartphone and the JBL Portable app. The app is available on the Google Play Store and Apple App Store.
Follow these steps to update JBL Charge 4 firmware:
- Launch the JBL portable app.
- Go to Settings to check for updates.
- Tap the gear icon to go to Settings.
- Tap Update to install the new software version.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the update.
Updating a JBL Speaker – Step-by-Step Guide
Your JBL Charge 4 speaker might not turn on because it is dead or defective. Something must be wrong with the circuit board, causing the speaker to malfunction.
Even though JBL speakers have a rugged design and are waterproof, they cannot withstand power spikes. It is common for electronics to blow up after a power surge or fluctuating voltage levels.
If you’ve experienced a surge in your area recently, it might have damaged your speaker, causing it not to turn on. Fortunately, electrical issues are serviceable. Consider taking your speaker to a JBL service center for repairs.
If the damage resulted from a manufacturing defect, you can file a claim for a replacement if your warranty is valid. Contact JBL for further assistance with claiming your replacement.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: Why won’t my JBL Charge 4 speaker turn on?
- Answer: Your JBL Charge 4 speaker might not turn on because of a low charge, a faulty battery, a defective power switch, or outdated firmware. Software bugs, a flat battery, and a damaged circuit board can also cause your JBL Charge 4 not to turn on.
- Question: What to do if my JBL Charge 4 won’t turn on?
- Answer: The first step to fixing a JBL Charge 4 speaker that won’t turn on is to identify the cause of the problem. If the speaker is low on battery, quickly recharge it to fix the problem. Check the power button for dirt and grime that might cause powering issues, and clean the speaker to solve the problem. For software bugs, reset the speaker to factory defaults. You can also try updating the firmware to solve emerging issues.
- Question: Does the JBL Charge 4 have a reset button?
- Answer: A reset can help solve power, charging, and pairing issues on your JBL Charge 4 speaker. However, the speaker does not have a reset button. The only way to reset it is by pressing and holding two buttons – VOL UP and Bluetooth.
- Question: How to factory reset my JBL Charge 4 that won’t turn on?
- Answer: Doing a hard reset on a JBL Charge 4 speaker that won’t turn on can be hectic. You need the speaker to be on to reset it. However, bugs and glitches can cause your speaker to appear dead while it is actually on. If so, you can reset the speaker by pressing the volume up (+) and Bluetooth buttons simultaneously for 10-15 seconds.
- Question: Can I use voice commands to turn on JBL Charge 4?
- Answer: No. The JBL Charge 4 does not support voice assistant. For this reason, you cannot set up and use voice commands to turn the speaker on. The only way to turn your JBL Charge 4 on is by pressing the power switch.
A JBL Charge 4 Bluetooth speaker that won’t turn on can let you down when you need it the most.
Fortunately, solving the problem is easy. You don’t need to take your speaker to a repair shop. Use this guide to troubleshoot and fix your speaker. Trust me. It will work within no time.