As a travel enthusiast, I prefer investing in multifunctional gadgets. With the JBL Charge 3 portable speaker, I don’t have to carry a sound system and an AC charger separately. After all, the speaker has a high-capacity built-in power bank for charging my electronics on the go. It also has a built-in noise-canceling mic for hands-free calling. How convenient is that?
What I like the most about the JBL Charge 3 are the easy-to-use controls. The speaker has six buttons that perform various functions, from activating Bluetooth to skipping tracks. However, the buttons don’t have any labels explaining their functions. They can be confusing if you’re not acquainted with what they do.
In this guide, we will discuss what each JBL Charge 3 button does, and their secret combination codes. Follow along to learn how to get the best of your JBL control buttons.
- The JBL Charge 3 has six buttons in a single row designed for various functions. Some buttons might perform more than one task when pressed multiple times.
- The buttons on the JBL Charge 3 have different shapes and symbols to denote their functions. For instance, the Bluetooth button has the Bluetooth symbol, while the Play button has a triangular shape.
- The JBL Charge 3 speaker does not have a reset button. You’ll have to press the Volume Up and the Play/Pause buttons until the speaker goes off to reset it to factory defaults.
- You can wirelessly link your JBL Charge 3 speaker to multiple compatible speakers by pressing the JBL Connect button. The button looks like a flipped hourglass.
- The JBL Charge 3 is also a speakerphone with a built-in microphone for hands-free calling. After pairing your phone and speaker, press the Play/Pause button to make or receive calls.
- You can set up your JBL Charge 3 to work with voice commands on the JBL Portable app. Pressing the Play/Pause button will activate Siri or Google Now Voice Assistant.
Recommended Reading :
JBL Charge 3 Button Functions
The buttons on the JBL Charge 3 have different shapes and symbols to denote their functions. However, understanding the purpose of each control button can be challenging for first-timers. This guide breaks everything down for you in the order they appear on the speaker.
JBL Charge 3 is a wireless speaker that connects to other devices via Bluetooth. So, it’s not surprising it has a dedicated Bluetooth button. The button’s primary function is to put your speaker into pairing mode, making it discoverable so other devices can find it.
With your speaker powered on, press the Bluetooth button to put it into pairing mode. The Bluetooth LED will turn white when the speaker is ready to pair with your device.
Volume Down Button
A party isn’t a party without pounding music. However, you may sometimes want to enjoy a serene environment while listening to soft, soothing tunes. Here’s where the Volume Down button comes into play.
The Volume Down button reduces the speaker’s audio level. Long-pressing the control button for a few seconds decreases the sound to the lowest level. If you want to reduce it by just a bit, press the button once or twice.
While the JBL Charge 3 has an Auto-Power OFF feature, it does not power on automatically. The only way to turn it on is by manually pressing the Power button once.
The Power button has an LED indicator that glows white when the speaker is ON. Pressing the Power button again will turn your speaker OFF. The status light will dim and go out as your speaker shuts down.
JBL Connect Button
The JBL Charge 3 is among the first speakers to feature the JBL Connect technology. It allows you to pair and connect multiple compatible JBL speakers for an amplified listening experience.
The JBL Connect button has a flipped hourglass symbol. To wirelessly link your speakers and initiate pairing, press the JBL Connect button on both speakers. They will automatically connect within a few seconds. Once connected, they will stream the same music from one source device.
Volume UP Button
The Volume Up button has a + sign. Its primary function is to increase the volume level. Press and hold down the Volume Up button for several seconds to adjust the audio level to maximum. If you want to increase it by just a bit, press the button once or twice.
The Play/Pause button has a flipped triangular shape. This dedicated button performs multiple functions, including playing, pausing, and skipping tracks.
With your speaker turned on, press the Play/Pause button to start streaming music from your device. Pressing the button again will pause the audio streaming. Double-pressing the button will skip to the next track.
The Play/Pause button also has other functions, as you’ll discover in the next section. You can use it to activate the speakerphone or enable voice commands.
JBL Charge 3 Special Button Functions and Secret Combinations
While the JBL Charge 3 speaker has only six control buttons, they perform multiple functions when pressed simultaneously. You can use various button combinations to reset the speaker, turn off the bass, activate voice commands, switch to speakerphone, and unlock secret modes.
Here are JBL Charge 3 special button functions and secret combination:
The JBL Charge 3 speaker requires frequent firmware updates to fix bugs and unlock new features. The speaker might malfunction or develop glitches if you don’t update the software to the latest version. You can know your speaker’s firmware version by pressing various button combinations. Here are the steps:
- Press the Power button to turn on your speaker.
- Press the JBL Connect and Volume Down buttons simultaneously.
- Release when the battery level diodes blink.
- A voice prompt will read out the firmware version number.
Reset JBL Charge 3
As with all Bluetooth speakers, your JBL Charge 3 speaker is not exempt from malfunctions. While using your speaker, you might experience audio, Bluetooth, charging, power, and pairing issues. Fortunately, a simple reset can help fix these problems.
Since the JBL Charge 3 has no dedicated reset button, you’ll have to press a combination of several buttons.
- Power on your JBL speaker.
- Press the Volume Up and the Play/Pause buttons simultaneously.
- Release the buttons when the speaker powers off.
- Wait for a few seconds.
- Press the Power button to boot your speaker.
Resetting JBL Charge 3
JBL speakers have what we call service or weird mode. Service mode is a security feature that locks your speaker so no one can use it unless they know how to exit this mode. The battery, Bluetooth, and buttons become unresponsive.
To activate service mode:
- Power on your speaker.
- Simultaneously press the JBL Connect and Volume Up buttons.
- Maintain this position for 10 seconds.
- Release the buttons when the speaker goes off.
To exit service mode:
- Connect your JBL speaker to an external power source.
- Simultaneously press the JBL Connect and Volume Up buttons.
- Maintain this position for 10 seconds.
- Release the buttons when the speaker turns on.
You can set up your JBL Charge 3 speaker to work with Voice Assistant programs such as Siri and Google Now. When activated, you can use voice commands to control your speaker.
- Pair your phone with your speaker.
- Download and install the app.
- Open the app and tap Voice Assistant to enable Siri or Google Now.
- Once set up, the Play/Pause button will become the activation button.
- With Voice Assistant enabled, Press the Play/Play button whenever you want to use voice commands.
Your JBL Charge 3 has a built-in noise-canceling speakerphone for hands-free calls. You can make or receive calls on speaker via your JBL Charge 3. You can set it up via the JBL Portable app.
After pairing your phone with your speaker, go to the JBL Portable app and enable the speakerphone function. Turn off audio feedback sounds by tapping the slider next to it. With the speakerphone function enabled, press the Play/Pause button on your JBL Charge 3 to make or receive calls.
Digital Signal Processor/EQ Settings
The JBL Charge 3 is renowned for its thundering bass. However, it’s not every day that you may want to pump up the volume. You can turn off the bass on your speaker by deactivating DSP or the built-in equalizer.
Press the Bluetooth and Volume Down buttons for 10 seconds to turn the bass off. The Power and Bluetooth diodes will turn white. To activate the bass, repeat the above step.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: Why are the buttons on my JBL Charge 3 unresponsive?
- Answer: The buttons on your JBL Charge 3 might become unresponsive because the speaker is in service mode. To deactivate this feature, connect the speaker to a charger via USB and wait for the LED indicator to glow. Press the JBL Connect and Volume Up buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds and release when the speaker goes off to exit service mode.
- Question: What is the triangle button on my JBL Charge 3?
- Answer: The triangular button on your JBL Charge 3 is the Play/Pause button. It performs multiple functions when pressed. Pressing it once will instruct the speaker to stream music from your connected device. A single press while playing will pause your song. Double-pressing the button will skip to the next track. The Play/Pause button also converts your speaker into a speakerphone and activates Voice Assistant.
- Question: What does the hourglass button on JBL Charge 3 do?
- Answer: The flipped hourglass button on your JBL Charge 3 is the JBL Connect button. This button lets you pair your JBL Charge 3 with multiple JBL Connect-enabled speakers, amplifying your audio experience.
- Question: Does the JBL Charge 3 have a reset button?
- Answer: The JBL Charge 3 does not have a reset button. The only way to reset your speaker is by pressing a combination of buttons. Power on the speaker and press the Volume Up and the Play/Pause buttons until the speaker goes off to reset it to factory defaults.
- Question: How do I turn down the bass on my JBL Charge 3?
- Answer: You can turn down the bass on your JBL speaker in two ways. The first method is to press the Bluetooth and Volume Down buttons for 10 seconds until the Power and Bluetooth LEDs turn white. Another option is using the JBL Portable app to adjust the bass level in EQ settings.
The JBL Charge 3 speaker is a worthwhile investment for music and tech lovers. This portable waterproof speaker has numerous features guaranteed to enhance your audio experience. The easy-to-use controls allow you to play, pause, and skip tracks seamlessly.
You can pair the speaker with other compatible speakers or use it as a speakerphone for hands-free calling. Follow this guide to learn what each JBL Charge 3 button does and get the best out of your speaker.