The JBL Flip 5 is a portable waterproof speaker popular for its impressive features and specifications. Despite its miniature size, this party unit delivers booming bass and offers a maximum playtime of up to 12 hours. Its lightweight design ensures you can carry it wherever you go for thrilling outdoor entertainment.
The best part is that you can pair the JBL Flip 5 with a compatible speaker for enhanced sound. This Bluetooth speaker also supports PartyBoost, allowing you to connect two JBL speakers for enriched stereo sound throughout your outdoor space.
Even though the JBL Flip 5 has exceptional features, it can sometimes act up and become unresponsive. The power button might stop working correctly, causing the JBL Flip 5 not to turn OFF/ON.
Fortunately, you don’t have to worry when this occurs. This guide explains exactly how to work around this problem and fix a JBL Flip 5 that won’t turn OFF or ON.
- Your JBL Flip 5 might not turn OFF/ON because the speaker is in service mode. Exiting service mode can help solve the problem, allowing you to turn off the speaker.
- A dirty or clogged power button can cause your JBL Flip 5 wireless speaker not to turn off or on. Cleaning the push button can fix the issue.
- Resetting your JBL Flip 5 can help fix an unresponsive power ON/OFF button. To reset the speaker, press the volume up and play buttons simultaneously for 10-20 seconds until the indicator light turns off.
- If your JBL Flip 5 won’t turn off, leave the battery to drain. The speaker has up to 12 hours of playtime when fully charged. Reduce the volume and allow the speaker to play until it dies out on its own.
JBL Flip 5 Won’t Turn ON or OFF – Basic Troubleshooting Tips
Fixing a JBL Flip 5 That Won’t Turn OFF
Sometimes when you press the power button, your JBL Flip 5 can become unresponsive and fail to turn off or on. Fortunately, fixing this problem is relatively easy. Here are a few tips on how to go about it.
Exit Service Mode (Weird Mode)
Service mode, sometimes called weird or secret mode, is a feature in JBL speakers that lets you lock the speaker so that no one can interfere with the playing audio. It makes all the buttons unresponsive, meaning you can’t turn the speaker off when you press the power button.
If your JBL Flip 5 won’t turn off, you might have accidentally entered service mode when you pressed the Bluetooth and play buttons. Exiting service mode is the only way to unlock your speaker and make all the controls responsive again.
Here are the steps to exit service mode:
- Connect your speaker to a USB Type-C charger.
- Plug the charger into an AC wall outlet.
- Press the Bluetooth and Play/Pause buttons simultaneously for 10-20 seconds.
- Test all the control buttons to see if they are responsive.
- Press the power button to turn it off. If that doesn’t work, quickly press the Power button three times and then press and hold until the speaker turns off.
- Turn the speaker on again.
- Your JBL Flip 5 should function normally after this step.
How to Exit the Service Mode on JBL Flip 5
Force the Speaker to Turn Off
If your JBL Flip 5 won’t turn off or on, you can force it to respond to your menu commands by pressing a series of buttons on the speaker.
Here’s what you can do:
- Option 1 – Long-press the power button for 10-15 seconds until the status light starts flashing. Release the power button as the speaker turns off.
- Option 2 – Press the power and play/pause buttons simultaneously for 15-20 seconds until the JBL speaker turns off.
- Option 3 – Press the power button four times, then release it and long-press it the fifth time until you hear a power OFF tone and the blue status light goes out.
Reset the Speaker
At this point, your JBL Flip 5 should be turning off or on when you press the power button. If not, you may have to reset it to factory defaults. A reset erases all custom settings and deletes pairing information, meaning you must configure the wireless speaker afresh.
You can reset your JBL Flip 5 by following this procedure:
- Press the volume up and play buttons simultaneously for 10-20 seconds.
- Release the buttons when the indicator light turns off.
- Unpair the speaker from connected devices on your Bluetooth list.
- Wait for about 30 seconds and turn on your JBL speaker.
- Your JBL wireless speaker is now back to default settings.
- Pair the speaker with your devices.
Resetting JBL Flip 5 to Factory Default Settings
Clean the Push Buttons
Even though the JBL Flip 5 is waterproof, dirt, dust, and gunk lodged between the control buttons can cause the speaker not to turn off or on. The debris might clog the power button and prevent contact with the circuit board, causing it to become unresponsive.
Cleaning your JBL speaker can help resolve the issue. It will remove the sediment buildup between the buttons, making them responsive again.
JBL recommends using lukewarm water with a microfiber cloth to clean the speaker and remove dirt and stains. You can dislodge the stuck buttons with a pin or toothpick. Avoid wiping the speaker with alcohol, as this might cause irreversible damage.
Repair the Power Button
Your JBL Flip 5 might not turn off or on because of a faulty power button. Since this wireless product is primarily an outdoor party speaker, it is vulnerable to accidental falls and drops that might damage the power button.
Examine the power button to determine if it is loose or broken. If you notice any visible damage, take it to a repair shop for professional assistance. You can also consult JBL for further help if your warranty is valid.
Drain the Battery
If your JBL Flip 5 won’t turn off, leave the battery to drain. The speaker has up to 12 hours of playtime when fully charged. Reduce the volume to manageable levels and allow the speaker to play until it dies out.
You can then charge the speaker and try to turn it on once fully charged. If you can power it on, press the power button again to see if it is responsive. If the problem persists, move to the next tip.
Change the Power Supply
JBL speakers allow you to use their internal battery or an external power cord. The buttons on your JBL Flip 5 portable speaker might become unresponsive when connected to a defective power source, causing it not to turn off or on.
Disconnect the power cable and run the speakers using the internal battery. If the buttons are responsive while running solely on the built-in battery, the external power source is not supplying adequate current.
Use a power cord and adapter with an equal or higher amperage/current rating indicated on your speaker.
Upgrade the Firmware
Updating the software for your speaker can help resolve several issues, including an unresponsive power ON/OFF button. You can upgrade your speaker’s firmware via the JBL portable app for your Android or iOS device.
Download and install the JBL portable app on your mobile device and check for the latest software updates.
If an update is available, you’ll see a small red dot above the settings icon on the app.
Upgrading JBL Flip 5 Firmware
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: Why does my JBL Flip 5 not turn off?
- Answer: Your JBL Flip 5 might not turn off because it’s in service mode. Quickly press the Power button three times and then press and hold until the speaker turns off to exit service mode. Alternatively, reset the speaker by pressing the volume up and play-pause buttons simultaneously for 10-20 seconds.
- Question: How do I force my JBL speaker to turn off?
- Answer: You can force your JBL speaker to turn off by long-pressing the power button for 10-15 seconds. Release the power button as the speaker turns off. If this doesn’t work, press the power and play buttons simultaneously for 15 seconds until it goes off. Alternatively, press the power button four times, then release it and long-press it the fifth time.
- Question: Why doesn’t my JBL Flip 5 power button work?
- Answer: The power button on your JBL Flip 5 might not work for several reasons. The switch could be defective, or the battery inside the unit might be faulty and requires a replacement. Another possible explanation is that you might have accidentally put the speaker into service mode. In some instances, your power supply might not provide adequate current causing the power button to become unresponsive.
- Question: What do I do if my JBL Flip 5 won’t turn off?
- Answer: The quickest way to fix a JBL Flip 5 that won’t turn off is to exit the service mode. You might have accidentally entered service mode when you pressed the Bluetooth and play buttons for a few seconds, causing the speaker’s power button to become unresponsive. Follow the instructions from this article to exit this mode.
A JBL Flip 5 might not turn off or on because you accidentally put it in service mode, causing the power button to become unresponsive. Exiting service mode can help restore your speaker, ensuring the power ON/OFF button is working again. You can also reset the speaker to factory defaults to solve any emerging issues causing it not to turn off or on. Follow the above guide for more tips on how to fix a JBL Flip 5 that won’t turn off or off.