I always love upgrades. That’s why I didn’t hesitate to purchase the JBL Charge 5 when it came out. This JBL Charge 4 replacement has an IP67 rating, meaning it is fully waterproof and provides complete protection against dust and other solids.
Although the Charge 4 has more features like voice assistant and hands-free calling, the JBL Charge 5 outdoes its predecessor in audio quality. It has a well-balanced sound signature with enhanced bass and treble ranges, facilitated by the dual bass radiators and the separate 20mm tweeter.
The speaker has several control buttons on a single row for easy accessibility. These controls are uncomplicated and easier to use. However, the buttons don’t have labels showing what each one does, perhaps for aesthetic reasons. You may have to figure it out for yourself or check the quick start guide for your speaker.
Fortunately, I’m here to help. This guide explains what each JBL Charge 5 button does so you don’t have to guess. Follow along to learn more.
- The JBL Charge 5 has six easy-to-use control buttons on the top panel.
- Like most JBL speakers, the JBL Charge 5 buttons are icons or symbols. They don’t have names or labels explaining what each button does.
- JBL Charge 5 buttons can turn the speaker on or off, play, pause, and skip tracks, pair the speaker with other devices, and reset the product to factory defaults.
- The JBL Charge 5 supports audio feedback sounds. With feedback tones enabled on the app, you’ll hear chiming alert tones when you press the power, Bluetooth, or volume buttons.
- As with other JBL Bluetooth speakers, the JBL Charge 5 has no dedicated reset button. The only way to reset your Charge 5 speaker is to simultaneously press the Volume Up and Play/Pause for two or more seconds.
Recommended Reading :
JBL Charge 5 Button Functions
The JBL Charge 5 top panel has a simple layout with six control buttons. These buttons come in the form of icons and symbols. They don’t have names, meaning you have to figure out what each button does if you don’t know what the embossed shapes signify.
Here’s an explanation of the JBL Charge 5 button functions.
The PartyBoost button is the first control button from the left with an embossed infinity icon. Its only function is to connect your speaker with other PartyBoost-compatible speakers for an amplified audio experience. You can link two or more speakers with your JBL Charge 5 to crank up the volume.
Volume DOWN Button
The Volume Down button has a subtraction (-) symbol. It only has one function, which is lowering the volume level.
Pressing the button will reduce the volume level by one step down. If you want to decrease the volume quickly, press the Volume Down button for one or more seconds. Pressing and holding the button longer will mute your speaker.
The Power button is one of the multifunctional control buttons on the JBL Charge 5. It turns your speaker on or off and performs other functions when pressed with other buttons.
If your speaker is OFF, turn it ON by pressing the Power button once. The power icon will light up to indicate the speaker is ON. Press the button again to turn your speaker off. The light will go off as the speaker shuts down.
The JBL Charge 5 is a wireless speaker that connects to other devices via Bluetooth. Before linking your speaker with your phone or tablet, you must make it discoverable. Here’s where the Bluetooth button comes into play.
The Bluetooth button is right next to the Power button. Its primary function is to make your speaker discoverable so other compatible devices can find it. Press the button once to enter pairing mode.
Volume UP Button
The Volume Up button does the opposite of the Volume Down button. It increases your speaker’s volume level.
Pressing the button with short taps will increase the volume by one level. The maximum volume level is 32 steps. If you want to increase the volume quickly, press it continuously for a few seconds.
The Play/Pause button has a symbol of a flipped triangle. It performs multiple functions, including playing, pausing, and skipping tracks.
When connected to a phone or music player, one short press will instruct the speaker to stream music, while another tap will pause the speaker. Double-tapping the button while the speaker plays will skip to the next song. Unfortunately, the JBL Charge 5 has no control button for tracking backward.
JBL Charge 5 Special Button Functions and Combinations
Some JBL Charge 5 buttons perform multiple functions when pressed individually or with other control buttons. These button combinations can help unlock various exciting features or troubleshoot your speaker.
Here is a breakdown of the JBL Charge 5 button functions and combinations:
As you know, your JBL Charge 5 requires a Bluetooth connection to stream music from your devices. To achieve this, you must put your speaker into pairing mode to make it discoverable.
Here’s how to pair your JBL Charge 5 with your phone or tablet:
- Turn on your speaker.
- Press the Bluetooth button to make your speaker discoverable. The Bluetooth buttons should start blinking when in discovery/pairing mode.
- Go to your phone’s Bluetooth menu and enable Bluetooth.
- Your phone will search for discoverable Bluetooth devices.
- Tap JBL Charge 5 from the list of devices.
Pairing JBL Charge 5 with a Bluetooth Phone
The JBL Charge 5 is distinguished for its balanced sound profile and thundering bass. You can level up your listening experience by activating PartyBoost. This feature lets you connect your speaker with multiple PartyBoost-compatible speakers, turning your space into a mini disco.
Follow these steps to activate PartyBoost Mode:
- Turn your JBL speaker ON.
- Pair your speaker with your phone or tablet.
- Download and install the JBL Portable app (Android/iOS).
- Press the PartyBoost button on all the speakers you want to connect.
- The speakers will connect within 30 seconds.
- Open the JBL Portable app.
- Select Stereo Mode to play the speakers in stereo (as left and right channels) or Party Mode to play the same audio on both speakers.
How to Use the PartyBoost Feature on JBL Charge 5
Service mode is a secret feature in most JBL Bluetooth speakers. It allows you to lock your speaker by deactivating the battery and buttons. You cannot use your speaker with service mode ON.
Here’s how to activate service mode:
- Turn on your speaker.
- Press the Bluetooth and Play/Pause buttons simultaneously.
- Release the buttons when the speaker goes OFF.
To deactivate service mode:
- Plug a charger into your speaker’s charging port.
- Press the Bluetooth and Play/Pause buttons simultaneously for a few seconds.
- Release the buttons when the speaker turns ON.
Upgrading your speaker’s firmware to the latest version can help unlock new features and improve performance. You can check the firmware version on the JBL Portable app or through various button combinations.
- Power on your speaker.
- Press the Volume Down and PartyBoost buttons at once.
- Release the buttons after 3 seconds.
- A voice prompt will broadcast your firmware version number.
Power Cycle JBL Charge 5
Sometimes, your JBL Charge 5 might freeze or malfunction because of hardware issues. Power cycling the speaker can help resolve the issue. A power cycle forcefully shuts down and restarts your speaker.
To power cycle, press the Power button for 10 seconds until the speaker goes off. Wait a few seconds before pressing the Power button again to turn on your speaker.
Reset JBL Charge 5
Your speaker might require a reset if it is not charging, connecting to paired devices, or has sound issues. A reset restores it to factory defaults, correcting minor bugs and glitches.
- Turn your speaker on.
- Forget the speaker from paired devices.
- Press the Volume Up and Play/Pause buttons simultaneously for 2 seconds.
- The speaker will automatically reboot after the reset.
How to Reset JBL Charge 5
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: What do the buttons on the JBL Charge 5 mean?
- Answer: The JBL Charge 5 has six control buttons with different meanings and functions. The Power button turns the speaker on or off, while the Bluetooth button makes the speaker discoverable. The PartyBoost button pairs the speaker with compatible speakers for amplified sound, while volume control buttons adjust the volume level. The Play/Pause button is for playing, pausing, and skipping tracks.
- Question: What does the infinity button on a JBL Charge 5 do?
- Answer: The infinity button on the JBL Charge 5 is the PartyBoost button. This feature lets you connect your JBL Charge 5 to other PartyBoost-compatible speakers for an amplified listening experience. Pair your speaker with your phone and press the infinity button on all speakers you want to connect.
- Question: How do you adjust the bass on a JBL Charge 5?
- Answer: The JBL Charge 5 is renowned for its thundering bass. However, the speaker has no button for adjusting the bass. The only way to increase or decrease the bass is via the JBL Portable app. Open the app on your phone and change the equalization settings to your preferences.
- Question: What is the triangle button on my JBL Charge 5 speaker?
- Answer: The flipped triangle button is the Play/Pause button. It performs multiple functions, including playing, pausing, and skipping tracks. When connected to an audio device, one short press will instruct the speaker to stream music, while another tap will pause the speaker. Double-tapping the button while the speaker plays will skip to the next song.
- Question: Which buttons do I press to reset my JBL Charge 5?
- Answer: The JBL Charge 5 does not have a reset button. However, you can reset your speaker using various button combinations. First, turn your speaker on and delete/unpair it from your phone’s Bluetooth menu. Next, Press the Volume Up and Play/Pause buttons simultaneously for two or more seconds. The speaker will automatically reboot after the reset.
The JBL Charge 5 is a decent Bluetooth speaker with easy-to-use controls. You can play, pause, and skip tracks with the press of a button without requiring a smartphone. The only issue with this speaker is that most control buttons have limited functionalities.
Without the JBL app, you can’t adjust the bass or create custom equalization settings. Apart from that, the JBL Charge 5 is an excellent choice for audiophiles who love portable speakers with uncomplicated control buttons. Use this guide to learn what each JBL Charge 5 button does.