JBL is a top brand renowned for its premium audio products. After a friend recommended them, I didn’t hesitate to buy JBL earbuds. So far, I can say my experience has been impeccable. These earbuds come with several ear tips that fit precisely in my ears. Moreover, they are comfortable and produce the best sound quality.
While I can go on and on to highlight the top features of JBL earbuds, they are not perfect. As a techie, I know that no gadget is flawless. My JBL earbuds proved as such when they stopped turning on even with a full charge.
Given my incomparable experience in tech gadgets, JBL earbuds not turning on is nothing new. I know a thing or two about fixing earbuds that won’t turn on.
This guide explains how to fix JBL earbuds that won’t turn on.
- JBL earbuds not turning on can result from a low battery level. Recharge the earbuds by placing them in their charging case to solve the problem.
- JBL earbuds might not turn on because of dead batteries. Unfortunately, you cannot replace the batteries since they are not serviceable. You will have to buy a new pair of earbuds.
- Over-discharged batteries can cause JBL earbuds not to turn on. Recharge the batteries overnight to fix the issue.
- Software bugs can cause your JBL earbuds not to turn on. Resetting the earbuds can help fix multiple malfunctions, including power issues.
- Your JBL earbuds might be on, but you can’t tell because the LED indicators are damaged and not lighting up. Insert the earbuds in your ears to check if they work.
Recommended Reading :
Low Battery Level
JBL earbuds rarely let me down. They power on automatically when I open the charging case. However, sometimes, they might “refuse” to turn on when I remove them from the charging case. I discovered that this issue often occurs if the charging case is low on power and the earbuds are critically low on charge.
The only practical way to solve this problem is to recharge the earbuds. Place the earbuds in the charging case and connect the charger to boost the battery level. Depending on the earbud model, a full recharge should not take more than two hours.
Your JBL earbuds won’t turn on because of over-discharged batteries. These earbuds have Lithium-ion batteries that self-discharge when not in use.
If you don’t charge and use your earbuds for a while, they will likely not turn on even if they are in the charging case. Your JBL charging case will also lose charge over time, meaning it can’t keep your earbuds charged.
A quick workaround to this problem is to charge the charging case and earbuds. Place the earbuds in the charging case and connect the USB cable to charge them both. For best results, leave the earbuds to recharge overnight.
Bugs & Glitches
Manufacturing defects, programming issues, and software bugs can cause your JBL earbuds not to turn on. Fortunately, there is a quick fix to this problem. Resetting the earbuds to factory defaults can help resolve the issue. A factory reset restores your earbuds as if they were new. They will return to their out-of-box state.
However, a programming issue or software bug usually leaves the earbuds powered on. The only problem is that the LED indicators won’t turn on, so you can’t tell if the earbuds are on. However, there is no harm in trying. A reset will force-start the earbuds.
Follow these steps to reset your JBL earbuds:
- Remove the earbuds from the charging case.
- Double-tap the touch sensor/button on the right earbud.
- Hold the button on the third tap for 5 seconds.
- Release the button.
- Wait for at least 10 seconds.
- Try to turn on the earbuds by pressing both earbud buttons for 5 seconds.
JBL earbuds have indicator LEDs that turn blue when powered on. However, these indicator lights might burn out from aging or other reasons. If the LEDs cannot turn on, you might assume your earbuds are not turning on.
The easiest way to test your earbuds is to insert them in your ears. Press the touch buttons to turn them on and place them in your ears. Do not worry about the LEDs. If you hear a sound from the buds, they work fine, although the indicator lights are not glowing.
Faulty Charging Case
The JBL charging case is an integral part of your audio equipment. It ensures your earbuds are 100% charged and ready whenever needed. If the charging case is faulty, it won’t supply power to your earbuds for charging. As such, your earbuds might not turn on because they don’t have adequate power.
You can test the charging case by placing the earbuds in the corresponding slots and letting them charge for a while. You may have to replace the charging case to recharge your earbuds and turn them on if you do not notice changes to the power level.
Alternatively, you could try opening the faulty charging case and fixing it. If the charging case’s battery is dead, you could try finding a third-party battery with the same power rating and replacing it. If some other part is dead/damaged (like PCB), you could try finding original parts on eBay. Note that this is not a job for an inexperienced DIYer.
JBL Endurance Peak – How to Take the Charging Case Apart and Replace the Battery
Power Saving Mode
JBL is one of the most innovative audio companies. The company is at the forefront of producing power-efficient audio products. As such, the latest JBL earbuds have a power-saving feature. Your earbuds might turn off after minutes of inactivity to save power.
However, the power-saving mode has its shortcomings. Your earbuds might go into power-saving mode and remain stuck. They won’t turn on when you try to power them on.
Fortunately, you can solve this issue through the My JBL headphones app. Download the app and go to settings to deactivate this feature. Your earbuds should power on once the power-saving mode is off.
Just like all wireless earbuds, JBL earbuds have rechargeable batteries. While the earbuds are durable, the batteries have a limited lifespan. They might not last more than five years.
Even if they last longer, the batteries might lose their capacity to hold a charge for extended periods. Since JBL earbuds do not have replaceable batteries, the only solution is to buy new earbuds.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: Why are my JBL earbuds not turning on?
- Answer: Your JBL earbuds might not turn on because of low battery power. The earbuds have a rechargeable battery. It requires frequent charging to keep up with your playback needs. If the earbuds are 100% charged but not turning on, the buds might have a software bug or glitch. Resetting the earbuds can solve the problem.
- Question: How do I manually turn on my JBL earbuds?
- Answer: JBL earbuds automatically turn on while in the charging case or when you take them out (depending on the model). You only need to open the lid. However, you can manually turn them on outside the charging case by pressing the touch sensors for 5 seconds. Release the buttons when the LEDs blink blue.
- Question: How do you fix JBL earbuds that refuse to turn on?
- Answer: It depends on the issue. For software bugs and glitches, just reset the earbuds. Depending on the model, double-tap the right earbud and hold on the third tap for five seconds to reset your earbuds. If the issue results from low battery power, recharge the earbuds by placing them in the charging case.
- Question: How do I wake up my JBL earbuds?
- Answer: If your JBL earbuds have stayed for long without use, they might self-discharge and not turn on. Keeping them in a fully-charged charging case for a few hours is one way to wake them up. Ensure the charging case has sufficient charge to recharge the earbuds.
- Question: How do you turn on JBL earbuds with the charging case?
- Answer: Turning on your JBL earbuds with the case is automatic. Place the earbuds in the corresponding slots in the charging case and close the lid. Wait a few moments, then open the case. The earbuds will automatically turn on when you open the lid.
JBL wireless earbuds are distinguished for their superior quality. They have a classy look, unmatched comfort, and a rich audio experience. However, no product is perfect. Your JBL earbuds may act up and not turn on when you want to use them. Fortunately, power issues are nothing to worry about since they are fixable. Use this guide for precise instructions on how to fix JBL earbuds that won’t turn on.