It has been five years since the Powerbeats Pro hit the stores. Even with more advanced alternatives, the Powerbeats Pro buds remain my favorites. These True wireless earbuds have everything you might need in an earpiece, especially if you’re an athlete or gym enthusiast.
These sweat and water-resistant earbuds are sleek, light, and comfortable. Besides, they have the Apple H1 micro-chip for impeccable connectivity. The headphone chip supports seamless device switching, noise isolation, and in-ear detection for a more fulfilling audio experience.
While the Powerbeats Pros are near-perfect, they have slight imperfections. My earbuds started acting up for no apparent reason, with one side not working.
If you are stuck with a Powerbeats Pro one side not working (Left/Right) malfunction, you can rely on these insightful tips to troubleshoot and fix the problem.
- Powerbeats Pro one side not working (Left/Right) might result from a low charge. Each earbud has its distinct battery level, meaning one bud might not work if it’s low on charge.
- Your earbuds might not work on one side because of low or muted sound. Check the volume level of the earbud that’s not working and unmute it or adjust it accordingly to fix the issue.
- Pairing issues can cause your Powerbeats Pro to stop working on one side. Unpair the earbuds from connected devices and pair them afresh.
- Powerbeats Pro earbuds have an optical motion sensor that activates Auto Play when you fit the earbuds in your ears. One or both buds might not work if the sensor is faulty or misconfigured.
- An over-discharged battery or a battery failure can cause one of your earbuds not to work. Charge the earbuds briefly or schedule a battery replacement to fix the issue.
- The left or right Powerbeats Pro earbud might stop working because it is out of Bluetooth range. Ensure you are within 10 meters from the connected device to resolve the problem.
Recommended Reading :
Fixing Powerbeats Pro One Side Not Working (Left/Right)
Powerbeats Pro earbuds come in pairs. While you can use one earbud independently, fitting both earbuds provides a more immersive audio experience. As such, having only one earbud working can be annoying for many.
Identifying why only one side works can help you quickly troubleshoot and fix the problem. Here are the possible reasons your Powerbeats Pro earbuds are not working on one side and how to resolve the issue.
Your Powerbeats Pro might not work on one side simply because it has a low charge. These premium wireless earbuds have separate batteries with varying charge levels. One earbud might have lower battery power than the other, causing it to go off and not work.
You can check the battery level of each Powerbeats Pro earbud through your iPhone, Apple Smartwatch, Mac computer, or Android phone. However, you must first pair the earbuds with your device to check how much charge they have left.
Place the earbuds in the charging case and leave the lid open. Next, go to your device’s Bluetooth menu and tap on your earbuds to see the current battery level of each bud. If one earbud is critically low on charge, it won’t work. The only solution is to recharge it by placing it in the charging case.
Getting Extra Juice from Your Powerbeats Pro – Fast Charging
Low or Muted Volume
The left or right Powerbeats Pro earbud might sometimes not work because of low or muted volume. Unlike other earbud brands, the Powerbeats Pro earbuds have controls on each earbud.
You can adjust the volume level for individual buds. If you accidentally mute one earbud, it won’t produce any sound.
Fixing this problem is straightforward. Press the volume rocker on the affected earbud to raise the volume to your preferred level.
Also, go to your phone’s settings to check the audio volume balance between the left and right channels.
Adjusting Audio Balance on an iPhone
Setting up your Powerbeats Pro for first-time use involves pairing the earbuds with your smartphone or Bluetooth device. Setting them up without following the correct procedure can cause the earbuds not to sync and one side not to work appropriately.
If pairing with a new device, you may have to remove the earbuds from previously connected devices and start the pairing process afresh.
- Go to your device’s Bluetooth menu.
- Tap on your earbuds on the list of paired devices.
- Tap the information icon and select Forget or Delete.
- Place the earbuds in the charging case and leave the lid open.
- Enable Bluetooth on your device.
- Press the system button on the charging case.
- Release the button when the LED indicator blinks.
- Go to the Bluetooth menu on your device.
- Select your Powerbeats Pro earbuds from the list to complete the pairing process.
Pairing Powerbeats Pro with an iPhone
Pairing Powerbeats Pro with an Android Device
Dirty or Clogged Earbud
The Powerbeats Pro might be sweat and water-resistant. However, this doesn’t mean they don’t get dirty. Dust, sand, earwax, and gunk might find their way through the eartips, clogging one or both earbuds. A clogged earbud might not produce sound or work as required.
Proper care and maintenance are critical to ensuring your Powerbeats Pro earbuds deliver optimal audio performance. You can use a dry, lint-free cloth to wipe dust, grease, and oily substances from your earbuds. Since the eartips are waterproof, you can rinse them in warm, soapy water to clean them.
Cleaning Powerbeats Pro
Misconfigured Ear Detection Settings
Your Powerbeats Pro earbuds have an optical motion sensor that automatically activates Auto Play when you fit the buds in your ears. The earbuds will automatically stream audio from your device without your intervention.
As convenient as this setting might be, it can cause one or both earbuds to malfunction and stop working. Fortunately, you can survive without this feature if it is causing issues.
Follow these steps to deactivate Auto Play/Ear Detection:
- Go to the Bluetooth menu on your paired iOS device.
- Select your Powerbeats Pro earbuds.
- Tap the information icon next to your earbuds’ name.
- Tap the toggle slider next to Automatic Ear Detection to turn it off.
As stated, each Powerbeats Pro earbud has a high-performance rechargeable battery. However, these batteries have a limited lifespan and usually wear down with time. After several charge cycles, the battery in the left or right earbud might fail, causing the earbud not to work.
The only solution to battery failure is finding a replacement. Apple can replace the dead battery at a fee, but you may have to schedule a replacement service in advance. You can alternatively buy a replacement battery from a third-party merchant and install it through a local technician.
Powerbeats Pro Battery Replacement
If you haven’t used your earbuds for a while, the batteries might self-discharge with time. While keeping the earbuds in the charging case ensures they remain charged, the charging case itself might also self-discharge after an extended period without use. An over-discharged battery might be the culprit of your earbud issue.
Fortunately, solving this issue should be the least of your concerns. You only need to place the earbuds in the charging case and connect the case to a power source to recharge them both. You can charge the earbuds overnight to boost the battery.
The Powerbeats Pro earbuds have the advanced Apple H1 chip for seamless connectivity and fewer dropouts. However, the distance between the earbuds and the Bluetooth device matters. The earbuds must be within Bluetooth range to prevent connection issues. If you are far from the connected device, one or both earbuds might not work.
The recommended Bluetooth range must not exceed 10 meters or 33 feet. Move closer to the connected audio device to prevent dropouts and obstructions. Also, consider turning off electrical gadgets that might interfere with signal transmission.
Bugs and glitches are prevalent with tech gadgets. Your Powerbeats Pro earbuds can develop software bugs, causing one or both buds not to work. Resetting your earbuds is the quickest way to fix bugs and glitches. This option can also resolve charging and pairing issues.
Here’s how to reset your Powerbeats Pro earbuds:
- Place the Powerbeats Pro earbuds in the charging case.
- Leave the charging case lid open.
- Press the system button on the charging case and hold it for 15 seconds or more.
- Release the button when the LED indicator on the case blinks red.
- Pair your earbuds with your device afresh.
Resetting Powerbeats Pro
Your Powerbeats Pro earbuds have an operating system that requires frequent updates. Fortunately, firmware updates are usually automatic when using an iOS device with your Powerbeats Pro earbuds.
However, this is not the case when using an Android device. You can only update your earbuds manually when using an Android phone or tablet. If you don’t update the buds, the firmware will become obsolete, causing one or both earbuds to malfunction.
Download and install the Beats app on your Android device to update your Powerbeats Pro earbuds.
Damaged Powerbeats Pro Earbud
Powerbeats Pro earbuds have a reinforced design for enhanced durability. However, they remain susceptible to damage, especially from improper storage or exposure to extreme temperatures.
If your Powerbeats Pro earbuds are not working on one side, the affected earbud might be damaged. Sometimes, it might not be your fault. The earbud might have arrived with a manufacturing defect.
Whatever the case, the only solution is to replace the damaged earbud. Contact Apple Support for further assistance filing a warranty claim or purchasing a replacement. You may have to ship the damaged earbud to Apple for a replacement.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: Can I use Powerbeats Pro earbuds separately?
- Answer: Yes. You can use Powerbeats Pro earbuds individually. You only need to fit one earbud in your ear and leave the other in the charging case. The Powerbeats Pro will automatically switch to mono mode and turn off the earbud in the charging case.
- Question: Why are my Powerbeats Pro earbuds not working on one side?
- Answer: Your Powerbeats Pro earbuds might not work on one side because of pairing issues, a low charge, muted sound, clogged eartips, bugs, or firmware issues. The earbud might also malfunction because of battery failure or physical damage.
- Question: What do I do if one side of my Powerbeats Pro is not working?
- Answer: Identify the root cause of the problem to troubleshoot and fix your Powerbeats Pro earbuds. First, charge both earbuds in the charging case to rule out the possibility of a low charge as the cause of the issue. For pairing issues, unpair and then pair your earbuds afresh. Ensure your earbuds are clean and within Bluetooth range. If the problem persists, reset the earbuds.
- Question: How do I reset Powerbeats Pro earbuds that won’t work on one side?
- Answer: Place the earbuds in the charging case and leave the lid open. Press and hold the system button inside the case for 15 seconds. Release the button when the LED indicator flashes red. Your Powerbeats Pro earbuds are reset and ready for pairing.
- Question: Can I replace one Powerbeats Pro earbud that is not working?
- Answer: Yes. You can replace one Powerbeats Pro earbud that’s not working at a fee. You may have to contact Apple and send your product’s serial number for a matching replacement.
Here’s the point. The Powerbeats Pros are a fine pair of earbuds. However, they have their shortcomings. The left or right earbud might stop working unexpectedly. Fortunately, you don’t have to panic. You can apply the fail-proof hacks in this troubleshooting guide and fix the problem speedily. They worked for me, so I bet they’ll work for you too.