My Powerbeats Pro earbuds are among my most treasured assets. I rarely leave the house without them. These True Wireless high-performance in-ear earbuds deliver spatial audio with dynamic range for an immersive experience. They support noise isolation, making them great for the outdoors. Besides, they are lightweight and comfortable for enhanced portability. Given their reinforced sweat and water-resistant design, the Powerbeats Pro earbuds can withstand moisture and sweat from intense workouts.
Like all premium earbuds, the Powerbeats Pro earbuds have a charging case with up to 24 hours of listening time. The case supports quick charging, with a 5-minute charge providing 1.5 hours of playback time. I only need to place the buds in the case to boost their battery.
However, I recently noticed that my Powerbeats Pro earbuds were not charging on one side. One earbud failed to charge, while the other was 100% charged.
A Powerbeats Pro one side not charging problem can be upsetting. Fortunately, I have several clever hacks to help you fix the issue.
- A Powerbeats Pro one side not charging problem might result from a faulty charging case or cable. Replace the charging case or use a different charging cord to fix the issue.
- Your Powerbeats Pro might not charge on one side because of incorrect placement. Ensure the earbuds are firmly in place in the correct slots to solve the problem.
- Dirty earbuds or charging case can cause one side of your Powerbeats Pro not to charge. Clean the earbuds and the case with a soft, dry cloth or cotton swab to resolve the issue.
- A defective power source can cause your Powerbeats Pro not to charge one or both earbuds. Use another power source to solve charging issues.
- Software bugs and technical glitches can cause your Powerbeats Pro not to charge on one side. Resetting the earbuds to factory defaults can help fix the problem.
Recommended Reading :
Fixing Powerbeats Pro One Side Not Charging
Your Powerbeats Pro earbuds can only charge through the charging case. However, you might experience charging issues with one side, either the left or right, not recharging. As frustrating as the situation can be, you can use the following tips to fix the problem:
Use a Different Cable
You can charge Powerbeats Pro earbuds and charging case simultaneously by connecting the Lightning cable to the charging case. However, if the Lightning cable is faulty, it might not deliver adequate power to charge both earbuds.
The quickest solution is to replace the Lightning cable. Use a different Lightning cable to see if it solves the problem.
Remove and Re-insert the Earbuds
The Powerbeats Pro charging case has two magnetic slots, each for one earbud. The corresponding slots have metal contact pins for charging the earbuds.
The earbuds must sit appropriately in the charging case for them to charge. If not, you might experience charging problems. Incorrect placement can cause one or both earbuds not to charge.
To fix the problem, remove and re-insert the earbuds correctly. The earbuds must sit appropriately in the corresponding slots to charge. Since the charging case has magnetic slots, your earbuds should snap into place automatically when placed properly.
Clean the Earbuds and Charging Case
Your Powerbeats Pro earbuds and charging case require frequent cleaning to remove dirt, sand, wax, and gunk build-up. Excessive dirt and debris might cause Powerbeats Pro earbuds not to charge on one side.
These elements might block the charging pins in the case, preventing power flow to the earbuds during charging.
Fortunately, fixing this problem is straightforward. Clean the earbuds and the charging case with a soft, dry fabric or cotton swab. The cloth should be lint-free.
Here are the steps to clean your Powerbeats Pro earbuds and charging case:
- Remove the earbuds from the case.
- Unplug the charging cable from the charging case and power outlet.
- Use a slightly damp cotton swab to wipe the charging contacts on the earbuds.
- Use a lint-free cloth or fabric to clean the charging contact pins in the case.
- Remove the eartips from the earbuds and rinse them in warm water to remove wax.
- Let the eartips, earbuds, and charging case dry naturally away from direct sunlight.
Check the Power Source
Sometimes, your Powerbeats Pro earbuds might not charge one side because of an inadequate power supply. You might experience charging issues when charging from a computer. The USB port might not deliver sufficient current to charge both earbuds.
Use a different power source to solve the problem. You can place the earbuds in the charging case and connect the case via the Lightning connector to a compatible charger and power outlet. Ensure the charger or adapter has the recommended power rating to avoid charging issues.
Turn Off AutoPlay/Ear Detection
Powerbeats Pro earbuds have motion accelerometers and optical sensors that power the buds automatically once you fit them in your ears. The earbuds will detect your ears and start playing automatically. However, the ear detection feature might malfunction and cause the earbuds to freeze and not charge on one or both sides.
The simplest way to fix this issue is to turn off Auto Play or Ear Detection. Here are the steps:
- Go to Settings on your iOS device.
- Tap Bluetooth.
- Find your Powerbeats Pro on the list of Bluetooth devices.
- Tap the information icon next to your earbuds’ name.
- Go to Automatic Ear Detection.
- Tap the slider to turn it off.
Reset Powerbeats Pro Earbuds
Powerbeats Pro earbuds might not charge on one side because of bugs or software glitches. The firmware might be corrupt or develop issues, causing one side not to charge. Fortunately, a reset can help fix this problem.
Resetting your Powerbeats Pro restores them to factory defaults. As a result, it corrects misconfigured settings and bugs that might cause one side not to charge.
Follow these steps to reset Powerbeats Pro earbuds:
- Open the charging case.
- Place the earbuds in the corresponding slots.
- Leave the case lid open.
- Locate the system button on the case.
- Press and hold the system button for 15 seconds or more.
- Release the button when the LED indicator blinks red and white.
- The LED indicator will flash white after the reset is successful.
Resetting Powerbeats Pro
Update Powerbeats Pro Firmware
Your Powerbeats Pro earbuds require frequent updates to fix bugs and ensure optimal performance. Firmware issues can cause your Powerbeats Pro not to charge on one side.
The good news is that Powerbeats Pro earbuds update automatically when paired with an iOS device like an iPad or iPhone. You only need an internet connection to update your earbuds.
However, the earbuds won’t auto-update when paired with an Android phone or tablet. You must download the Beats app and follow the on-screen instructions to update Powerbeats Pro firmware.
Replace the Earbud Battery
Like other wireless earphones, Powerbeats Pro earbuds have rechargeable batteries that require frequent charging for longer battery life. However, the built-in batteries have a limited lifespan. They might lose their power capacity after 300-500 charge cycles, causing one or both earbuds not to charge. Replacing the battery is the only way to fix the problem.
Apple can replace your Powerbeats Pro battery for a fee. After all, the provided warranty does not cover battery replacements. You may also get a free battery replacement service with AppleCare+ coverage.
Alternatively, you can buy a replacement battery from a third-party vendor and replace it at a local repair shop. Ensure the battery is genuine and from an accredited merchant.
Powerbeats Pro Earbud Battery Replacement
Replace the Charging Case
Powerbeats Pro not charging on one side might be because of a damaged or defective charging case. While the Powerbeats Pro charging case has a reinforced design, it is not exempt from malfunctions.
The charging case might wear out or become defective from improper storage or electrical faults. The charging pins on one side might be bent or broken, or the lid cannot close because of defects. You cannot charge your earbuds with a faulty charging case. The only way to solve this problem is to replace the charging case. Contact Apple to purchase a replacement charging case.
Unusual Lick and Click Fix
According to one YouTube video and a bunch of comments below, licking the charging contacts and putting the faulty earbud back in the case can fix the charging issue. I don’t know how or why this fix works, but apparently, it helped a bunch of people.
Powerbeats Pro – Lick and Click Fix
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: How do I charge Powerbeats Pro earbuds?
- Answer: The only way to charge Powerbeats Pro earbuds is through their charging case. Open the charging case lid and insert the earbuds in the corresponding slots. The slots are magnetic, so your earbuds should snap into place automatically. Close the charging case lid to start charging. When charging begins, the LED indicator will turn white for a few seconds, then change to red. It will turn off when the earbuds are 100% charged.
- Question: How long do Powerbeats Pro earbuds last on a single charge?
- Answer: Each Powerbeats Pro earbud provides up to 9 hours of playback time on a single charge. The earbuds deliver an additional 24 hours of playback when combined with the charging case. Since the charging case supports quick charging, a 5-minute charge can provide up to 1.5 hours of playback.
- Question: Why is one side of my Powerbeats Pro not charging?
- Answer: Your Powerbeats Pro might not charge on one side because of a faulty cable, dead batteries, defective charging case, wet charging port, faulty power source, dirty earbuds or case, and software glitches. Finding the cause of the problem can help you troubleshoot and fix your earbuds quickly.
- Question: How do I fix Powerbeats Pro earbuds that won’t charge one side?
- Answer: Ensure the earbuds are firmly in the correct slots in the charging case. Use a different cable or another power source. If the charging case or earbuds are dirty, they might cause charging issues. Clean them using a soft cloth or cotton swab to fix the problem. Ensure they are dry before connecting the charger. If the problem originates from software glitches, reset the earbuds.
- Question: How do I reset Powerbeats Pro earbuds that won’t charge?
- Answer: Powerbeats Pro earbuds might not charge on one side because of software bugs or technical glitches. Resetting them can help fix the problem. Open the charging case and place the earbuds in the corresponding slots. Leave the case lid open. Locate the system button on the case and press it for 15 seconds or more. Release the button when the LED indicator blinks red.
Charging flaws are not new with Powerbeats Pro earbuds. Apple faced a lawsuit against them for charging-related issues with the Powerbeats Pro. Even though Apple settled the matter, you might still experience charging problems with your Powerbeats Pro not charging on one side. Fortunately, you don’t have to worry. You can fix the issue using the proven tips in this guide.