Beats have some commendable headphones and earbuds that work well with Apple devices. That is why I got my Beats Studio 3 headphones a few years back, and they have been a true companion, especially when traveling.
Recently I noticed that I could no longer activate noise canceling through the Bluetooth settings as I could before. Apple silently removed the feature, and I had to find an alternative way.
Luckily there are other ways of enabling and disabling noise canceling on Beats Studio 3, which we will look at.
- When the Beats Studio 3 headphones are powered on, they automatically enable the noise-canceling feature.
- The noise canceling feature on the Beats Studio 3 has two modes – it can either be on or off.
- There is no option to adjust the level of the noise canceling as you would find on other headphone brands.
- When the headphones are powered on and connected to an iOS device, you can turn off noise canceling by quickly double-pressing the power button.
- Double pressing the power button will turn the noise canceling feature on if it is disabled.
- If you have an Android device, you will have to use the Beats app available on Google Play.
- Simply launch the app when the headphones are connected to your device, and the option to disable or enable ANC will be on the home screen.
- The LED on the left earcup will tell you whether noise cancellation is enabled or disabled. If the LED is on, the ANC is active.
- Your headphone’s battery will last approximately twenty-two hours when ANC is enabled and forty hours when ANC is off.
- Active/Adaptive Noise Cancellation produces noise frequencies that counter ambient sound that could otherwise affect your listening experience negatively.
How to Enable/Disable ANC on Beats Studio 3
Recommended Reading :
How Does Active Noise Cancellation Work?
When using headphones, we often want to be fully immersed in whatever we are listening to without any distractions.
Most headphones are built to comfortably fit on the ears and ensure people around you cannot hear what you are listening to. The headphones are also built to prevent outside noise from interfering with whatever you are listening to. This is achieved through padding on the earcups and ensuring the headphones firmly hold onto your ears.
Unfortunately, the build design is inefficient in keeping ambient noise out. Sometimes you will still hear the background noises from vehicles or people talking, and that is where the Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) feature comes in.
Noise Cancellation Explained
The Beats Studio 3 headphones have internal and external microphones that detect background noise wherever you are.
Once they detect too much noise, they trigger the headphones to produce an identical sound frequency. However, one of the frequencies is delayed by half a wavelength so that the peaks of one frequency line up with the valleys of the other.
Once the frequencies of the ambient noise and those from the headphones interact, they cancel each other out, allowing you to only listen to the audio from your headphones. This process is referred to as destructive interference.
Pure ANC on Beats Studio 3
Since the noise cancellation on the Beats is adaptive, the headphones use an algorithm to constantly adjust the noise cancellation frequencies so that the noise cancellation is more efficient.
How to Turn Active Noise Cancellation ON or OFF on Beats Studio 3?
ANC is automatically enabled whenever you power on the headphones, and you will notice the LED on the left earcup is on. That shows that noise canceling is enabled.
There are different ways of enabling the feature depending on the device the headphones are connected to.
On Apple Products
If your Studio 3 headphones are connected to an iOS device, you can disable ANC by quickly pressing the power button twice.
You will know that Active Noise cancellation is off once the LED on the left earcup just below the ‘B’ logo goes off. It is the only LED on this earcup, so it will be easy to find.
Assuming the Beats headphones are already linked to the Beats app and connected to the phone, open the app, and it will display the settings screen of the Beats Solo 3 headphones.
Scroll until you see a profile icon. Selecting the icon with a semi-circle running over the head turns on Noise cancellation.
The Beats Studio 3 headphones only support Noise cancellation, so you will not have the transparency mode option. You can only enable or disable Noise cancellation.
What Are the Benefits of Using ANC?
When using Noise Cancellation, you can fully immerse yourself in what you are listening to without any external distractions.
Thus, the feature helps improve concentration, and you do not have to play audio for ANC to work.
Do ANC Headphones Protect Your Hearing?
What Are the Disadvantages of Using ANC?
Some disadvantages of the Active Noise Cancellation feature include;
- The feature is not as effective on sudden noises as it is on constant noises.
- Some people have reported feeling dizzy whenever they use ANC for too long.
- ANC drains the battery and causes it to last half the time it would last if the feature was off.
- Users have also reported some slight distortion in the audio quality of their headphones. However, this distortion is usually minimal in that you will notice it if you are looking for it.
Considering the pros and cons of ANC, it is safe to say that you should use it when it is essential. That way, you can have a long-lasting battery and enjoy quality audio.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: How do I turn off noise Canceling on Beats Studio 3?
- Answer: Suppose the Beats Studio 3 headphones are connected to an iOS device, double press the power button on the right earcup. You will know ANC is deactivated when the LED on the left earcup goes off.
- You might have to repeat the process more than once for the noise cancellation feature to be disabled.
- Question: Does Beats Studio 3 have active noise canceling?
- Answer: Yes, the Beats Studio 3 headphones have Active Noise Cancellation. The feature is automatically enabled whenever you power on the headphone.
- You will know ANC is on when the LED on the left earcup lights solid white.
- Question: How long does Beats Studio 3 last with noise canceling?
- Answer: According to Apple, the Beats Studio 3 headphones will last up to twenty-two hours when the Noise Canceling feature is enabled. The headphones will last for forty hours when ANC is disabled.
- Question: How do I know if noise canceling on my Beats is on?
- Answer: If you have the Beats Studio 3 headphones check the left earcup. ANC is active if the LED below the ‘B’ logo is on.
Beats Studio 3 headphones have been around for some time. They are loved primarily because of their Adaptive Noise Cancellation feature, making them convenient for outdoor use.
Now you can turn ANC on or off at will and use the headphones however you prefer. If you encounter challenges, you can check the Apple support page for various instructions that will help. Alternatively, you can contact Apple support.